I have seen some pretty stealthy ones recently

Best speeding enforcement work I ever saw was in California in the mid 1970's. That was back in the days when CHP were not allowed (by state statute) to use radar.

I was driving down I-5 in a Porsche 911, 10--15 MPH over the speed limit. Up ahead is an overpass, with a CHP car parked right in the middle, roof flashers silhouetted against the sky, visible literally miles away. Of course, I slow down like a good boy and drive under him, and watch my mirrors to make sure he doesn't come down and follow me. A mile down the road, the highway goes around a turn, the trooper is still up on the overpass as it goes out of sight in my mirror. I'm safe, speed back up to 80 or whatever it was I had been doing.

Five miles later I see a dark colored car coming up on me fast -- he's still a mile or so behind me, no way he could be pacing me, so I slow back down just in case... Imagine my surprise when the flashers light up. It's my buddy from the overpass, telling me I've been running 75 in a 55 zone.

"How do you know?", I ask him. He grins, and tells me how it works...

He saw the Porsche go by under him, and said to himself, "I'll betcha he's gonna be going about 75 mph once he feels safe." He let me go around the corner, then from a mile behind me he starts driving at 75 MPH. Pretty soon on a straight stretch of road, he sees me go under an overpass or over a bridge or some other easily discernible landmark. He takes an odometer reading. "Look, the Porsche is 1.2 miles ahead of me." Three miles later, he gets another odometer reading. "Look, the Porsche is now 1.4 miles ahead of me. I've been running steady at 75, he's gaining ground on me. Time to turn on the flashers."

I don't think he wrote me up, don't remember after all this time. But he was so good, I wouldn't have complained if he had. That was honest work that I could respect!

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"