If you're going to speed, you need to be in a heightened state of situational awareness in order to be a safe driver.

Yup yup yup.

Best I remember, California was certainly different in style from the South, but paying attention will save you more times than a detector (of ANY quality) will... That said... The Valentine has STILL saved my ass many more times than I can count. And unlike just about any other detector, when it goes off:
A: I hear it.... it's speaker is LOUD.
B: I pay attention to it. Falses in Advanced Logic mode simply DO NOT happen. If you get a beep from it, There is a radar source there. If you drive in the same area, you learn to ignore the same ones. With the Valentine, you can tell how MANY sources are there... It works GREAT.

A favorite trick here is for the cops to run radar in the same areas that they know are radar falses (door openers, security systems, etc.. ). With the Valentine, you simply notice there are more radar sets than there used to be, and know there is a cop there. With other detectors, you don't. I've seen SOOO many people get pulled by this trick. It works Very well, and is easy for the cops to do, so they use it alot here. They tend to be lazy, and leave the gun on, so with the V1, I know they are there a mile or two before I ever enter their range.

Unfortunately, It appears that I'm going to be in California in a week or two on business (L.A.), so it looks like I get to refresh my memory of Chips.. :)