I think it would be cool if a radar detector could be wired to the Empeg's cell-phone-mute line. I don't know if that's an option on any detectors, though.

Valentine 1.

Anything else is a toy, and WILL cost you more over the long run.

Obviously it's a biased opinion, but it's alot like the Empeg... once you have it, you aren't going back.

I've got mine setup remote. The detector itself is mounted directly under the passenger visor, with the power and information cable (it's a phone cord, mega nice) running inside the support down to the console.

At that point I have a split. Power comes in here, switched from the key. One phone cord goes to the dash area, where I have a remote display mounted. It is doable to integrate with the dashboard, but since my car only recently pasted it's warranty, I didn't want to screw with the dash THAT much. It is placed directly between the Tach and Speedo, works pretty nice. I suppose I'll have to pull the Digital camera out and start taking pictures of my install(s). The second out is for audio, which I've rigged with a little homemade electronics work to trigger the mute on the empeg whenever the audio threshold is met. I've got additional speakers triggering out of this module as well.

The Detector itself IS visible from outside the car in daylight, but you have to look for it, as it's mounted VERY high, and is recessed a bit. There also isn't a visible wire, so I don't get any second glances. At night, it's invisible, with the display indicators visible only to me.

The Valentine 1 is simply the best radar/laser (bastards just got a few of those guns around here) detector out there. Anything of lesser quality will only result in you paying more... to the insurance.

Obviously, it also does not replace a human with a brain paying attention to what he/she is doing... If you are at high speed rates, you should be paying enough attention to the road to spot the cop before you are in range anyways... The Valentine just helps you out.