I'm told that if the target is changing speed too quickly, the gun assumes it's a bogus reading

I think that was true of older style guns, but the new ones can lock onto you so quickly that this may be a futile maneuver. Don't know for sure, though...

I got stopped two days ago, 54 in a 40 zone. I would guess I was doing an honest 55 when the V-1 went off. I have faster than average reflexes, and I am quite sure I took 10MPH off that 55 speed in less than one second from the time the V-1 sounded. (The trooper was using instant on radar). Almost certainly I was decelerating hard within 1/2 second of the time it sounded. His total on-time was no more than 1.5 seconds. By the time I went by him (we were headed towards each other) he already had his flashers on and was preparing to U-turn to come after me.

I must say that my feelings of invinciblity with my Valentine One have been considerably shaken! That instant-on radar is deadly quick. FWIW, he was between 1/4 and 1/2 mile away when he triggered it. He must have had an urgent radio call or something because he let me off with a warning. I would have liked to chat with him for a while about the capabilities of his radar system... but somehow it just didn't seem like the right time to do so.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"