Interesting observations. I do have WMP9 installed on my system. Where's the tag editor? I looked into it because when I googled for synchronized lyrics, WMP9 came up... But I couldn't find the thing. There was some 3rd party plugin tag editor that they told me only worked on Windows XP, and since I'm on 2K, I gave up on trying to track it down. Is there a tag editor built into it? I'm using the "compact" skin so maybe they're hiding it from me?

Umm, as for who's following the spec... Microsoft's record speaks for itself in that regard. Actually I bet it is just the text encoding that is different. I was trying to avoid dealing with things like unicode. If the WMP interface for adding time tags to lyrics is that unintuitive, then I won't bother with it. But I'll check it out... I guess.

ID3lib DOES handle unicode. My program is writting the data itself properly. But lrc2sylt is not using unicode text encoding in the data itself. So if it's just a matter of lrc2sylt and WMP9 using different text encodings, then we're both following the spec, yet still incompatible because we're using the frame differently. Or in other words, the great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.