My only problem with doing relative volume adjustment on the empeg is that if a song gets played at much more than +5db beyond where I've set the volume control, I'll start to clip it because of where my amp gains are set. Dunno how the relative volume offset handles that, does it always attenuate or sometimes boost?

Shouldn't be a problem - if the track needs +5dB to change it's level to that of the rest of your collection, then it shouldn't clip unless the rest of your collection clips.... Of course, if it were tagged as needing +5dB when it didn't, that's another matter!

Hopefully this code and the voladj code would work well *together*, with no need to choose between one and the other. This code would in effect normalise between differing tracks, while voladj would compress the dynamic range raising softer passages within a track.

The real question is whether voladj achieves it's compression without affecting the overall level of the track - ie by attenuating loud passages as well as raising softer passages. If if does, then the 2 methods should coexist perfectly.

If voldadj only raises softer passages, then in effect it would be raising the overall level of a track - and this would mean that in a normalised collection, tracks with the widest dynamic range would appear loudest.

Whichever way, I'm confident that the 2 can be tweaked to get the best of both. Maybe by tweaking the voladj parameters a bit, and maybe by manually lowering (in the tag) tracks that then end up too loud.