If hijack supports it someday, taking control of the Knob when entering the Scroll mode, and giving it back on exit would be cool.

I think I can do that, no Hijack improvements necessary. I'm already binding the knob press, knob left, and knob right buttons, and also the front-panel left and right buttons (so I can detect rewinds/fast-forwards.) When I want them to go to the player, I just use the INJECTBUTTONS call and the player acts just as if the user had pressed the buttons with the player active. Quite handy.

So, I'd have to tweak the menu a little, but I could have a menu option to do scrolling, and when that's selected, the left/right buttons would scroll a particular field. Then you'd have to go back and switch out of that mode somehow. Or, yes, I could have other remote buttons do it, but I'm not sure how useful that is unless I then allow user-definiable buttons, which opens up another can of worms...

Really, I think automatic scrolling might be a better solution, at least in the first incarnation. I see the interface for scrolling fields getting ugly, especially if one wants to be able to scroll two different fields.

BTW all of this stuff takes a back seat to getting the program's primary purpose (lyrics scrolling) perfected.