The "pure android" experience isn't something that's going to last much longer, if it's even still available on any retail product. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing since Google hasn't really done anything terribly innovative with Android in terms of UI, fit and finish, polish, presentation and all that.

But what's needed is for vendors not to make their products into giant piles of hurt and security/privacy nightmares. It doesn't seem terribly difficult to imagine NOT collecting the data HTC has been, while still providing something unique. I'm pretty sure Amazon is going to move quickly to a (distant) number two spot in what will finally become (somewhat of) a tablet market.

Without changing up the Android "experience" a vendor is just going to be left with a bland and rather unremarkable product compared to the next guy. Or, as unremarkable and exactly like the next guy. Neither which makes a compelling strategy.

I think that perhaps a few companies may learn a thing or two from what Amazon is about to do and change their game somewhat. I doubt they'll be very successful, but from where they're playing now, they can only go up.