I recently "rooted" my Droid X with z4root, which was slightly more than one click. It required me to reboot several times, and put my phone in airplane mode, before it finally did the deed, but it did work.

I haven't tried monkeying around with replacement ROMs or to strip the Blur from my MotoBlur. However, once rooted, I have a variety of coolness factors:

- ClockSync now keeps my phone firmly pegged to proper Atomic time (versus the 14 second drift I'd been measuring)

- I can tether without paying usurious fees (most common use: running 'git commit' or 'git update' from my laptop when traveling; otherwise, I tend to do mobile email from my phone, not my PC)

- I can do screen captures (and why this isn't built in like it is on an iPhone, I'll never know)

And, umm, that's really about it. I'd really like to have proper Gingerbread on my phone already, but Motorola and Verizon aren't in any particular hurry on that. (All the more argument to purchase a Google-branded Android phone like the Nexus S.)