I can't believe they shipped a phone without GMail. That app is the best thing about Android. Argh.

Originally Posted By: msaeger
The first question is in the web browser can I get rid of the zoom in and out on the lower right of the screen ? I keep hitting it by accident and don't need it anyway it's easier to use pinch to zoom.

Anyway, my suggestion regarding the zoom buttons is frankly to try another browser. One nice thing about Android is that it has always supported completely different browsers from their own, so you can download Opera (now available on iOS too), Fennec (Firefox - in beta), or a number of other popular ones like Dolphin HD. The built in browser won't let you turn that off, but the others might not have it. I tend to like the zoom buttons as a good one-handed way to zoom.

Quote:
Second I thought I was reading I could download a file unsupported by the phone and save it to the SD slot. I tried downloading one and just got told it was unsupported. Is there something I need to install to do this or did I read something wrong?

That's odd, I could have sworn that I could download files and save them to SD. I'll have to play with this later. It's possible you aren't even using the stock Android browser, and the one you have is preventing this. Again, I'd try another one.

Quote:
So far I installed Gmail, Google Maps, Goggles, and Chrome to Phone. Goggles seems fun to play with but not too useful, it would probably be useful if I needed to translate something. Chrome to Phone will be nice to have now they need to make phone to chrome too.

Yeah, I haven't found much use for Goggles, but it's neat. Chrome to Phone has pretty limited uses, particularly if you already have a GPS in your car, but if you don't it's great for throwing driving directions to your phone.

My recommendations:

- Try out alternative "launchers." They're basically replacement homescreens/desktops, and control how things are organized on the home screens and a little in the app list. Some of the most popular are LauncherPro and ADW Launcher. My current favorite is called Zeam.

- Browse around the app market online to find new apps you'd like to download. It's much easier than on the phone.

- I'll try to think of more suggestions later when I'm not hurrying out the door...