You can certainly wipe it. And no, you won't have to do anything with your carrier, you just have to set it up with Google again. When you power back up after the wipe, it'll ask you for your Google account info, and all your email/contacts/calendar should automatically return to your device. In most cases a large portion of your apps return as well, but I'm not positive about that.

But if you don't want to go through all that hassle, there are things you can try:

1) Move apps to your SD card. May I suggest our own Bitt Faulk's SDMove, a great app that shows you all the apps that can be moved to the SD memory. He also made SDWatch which will alert you when you install an app that can be moved.

2) Clear up some memory. Go into the app management area and select things like the browser. You may be able to clear some data or cache to free up space. This might clear some stuff you don't want, so by conservative about it.

3) Similar to #2, you can also go into the GMail app separately and scale back on the number of days and labels that get synced if your phone doesn't have enough memory to get too many emails. This is a big help, I've found.

I think there are a few other things you can try, but I just woke up and can't recall them at the moment smile Maybe someone else can chime in.