Originally Posted By: Dignan
And of course, it didn't initially come with iTunes on Windows and still sold a ton of units IIRC.

Correct, but it did ship with a commercial 3rd party solution Musicmatch, hence me mentioning this in my post above. The point is that Apple shipped a complete solution for "how do I make my music more portable" instead of just shipping a player.

How do I do (Wake on Demand)? I have never seen this mentioned (and I'm pretty sure I've mentioned it on the board before). Not only is it not ideal, it's not at all user friendly if my mother can't figure it out.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774 . The key aspect is this:
Originally Posted By: Apple
To enable Wake on Demand on a Mac running Snow Leopard:

From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
From the View menu choose Energy Saver.
Select (check) "Wake for network access". Note: The "Wake for network access" option's text may differ depending on the capabilities of your Mac:
Wake for network access - Your Mac supports Wake on Demand over both Ethernet and AirPort
Wake for Ethernet network access - Your Mac supports Wake on Demand over Ethernet only
Wake for AirPort network access - Your Mac supports Wake on Demand over AirPort only

And I should clarify, only the black AppleTV units will act as a Bonjour Sleep Proxy. (This is undocumented, but verifiable with a bonjour network sniffer). Otherwise, an Apple router has to be in use, as no other router has chosen to adopt the standard. Under the hood it's a layer on top of the existing Wake on Lan technology mixed with Bonjour service discovery. iTunes will still have to be open on the computer to initially advertise over Bonjour. When the Mac goes to sleep, it hands off that Bonjour advertisement to the Apple TV. If a device tries to connect based on that advertisement, the AppleTV receives the request, sends a WoL packet to the computer, and then the Bonjour request is passed on.

I wasn't really thinking of that kind of "own content." I was thinking home movies, photos, and music.

Ahh, ok. That distinction is important, created content vs purchased content, and Apple is trying to address both sides. For home created videos, music and photos, Apple will be moving this more and more into iCloud. The next version of OS X is adding more iCloud integration, and odds are the iLife apps (iMovie, iPhoto, and Garageband respectively) will add more and more iCloud centric features. Part of the issue here of course is upload speeds on home users connections. For now, it's starting small, with documents, photo stream (for importing only), and music. The goal for created content is to ensure both the finished product and in progress work is on whatever devices you own, without manual work to do so. Their primary focus is on the finished work, with some bits of their content creation iCloud strategy starting to emerge.

It sure is, and I really can't see putting someone like my mother on iCloud. I don't think that's going to be any simpler to her, especially when it doesn't work that great for now.

The simpler part comes in from the removal of the file system and classic save dialogs. My grandmother knows that Pages is where to go when she wants to write a document, or open an old one. Gone is the file hierarchy, when she works on the iPad. And soon her laptop. She gains the benefit of being able to work on her stuff, without being a file janitor or needing to understand the behind the scenes pieces.

Do you think Google Docs is simpler today then Word? Why? To me, a major part is a removal of the filesystem piece, and an addition of accessibility to the data from many places. This is also Apple's goal with iCloud. And it's something Jobs was trying to push in some form or fashion for decades. At NeXT, he tended to have his home folder on a server, not his local computer. This included having the home folder accessible at home over a dedicated connection or while he was working at Pixar. This showed him the usefulness of having your data independent of a device or location. It's just taken that long for the rest of the world to catch up to what NeXTStep, and every other Unix was doing back when Windows had no idea what the internet was.

Quote:
Cost is also a factor. Sure, they could have shiped an AppleTV earlier capable of 1080p, but the cost would have been higher, when people still whine about current Apple prices.

Then SAY that. That's where people get riled up. Instead, the implication is that "you don't need 1080p because we say so." I think that's where people get the idea that this is what they said. I know most companies don't want to admit that their product can't do something, especially Apple, but I don't like that instead of saying they can't do something for some reason, they tell us it's not something we need. That's what "720p is fine" means to me. I guess it doesn't to you.

It can't work the way you want. People tend to latch onto negatives more then positives. "The new iPad, it can't do this because of cost, but maybe next year" is a great way to ensure you sell fewer units this year, leading to less revenue to be able to make the next thing. Everything around us an an iterative work, never perfect or loaded with every feature day one. And it's a careful dance to ensure that iterative process can continue. If you say something that harms sales today, you end up with the Osborne effect.