Other manufacturers might as well pack up everything they have in their manufacturing plants right now and throw it all in a landfill. It will be cheaper than spending more to produce their products only to have them sit on store shelves.

As an advanced/expert developer/consumer, I found the announcement, like most Apple announcements, tame. Sort of "meh" and nothing unexpected. The retina display was supposed to premiere last year with the iPad 2 but was post-poned due to production difficulties. There's nothing here that was not expected. It's all about bumping specs, nothing jumps out as brand new or revolutionary, like say the rumored tactile feedback.

Don't get me wrong, a 9.7" 3MP display will be a sight to behold, but it's still just more of what we already had.

A great upgrade for someone who has a first gen iPad, but I wouldn't hurry out to get one if I already had an iPad 2. The biggest differentiator is going to be, as always, apps. It's what the competition has none of. It's what will push the new hardware beyond what's capable on the old.

The event is still in progress so it remains to be seen if there's "one more thing" with regards to software from Apple.

Biggest personal disappointment so far is that they didn't start the models with a 32GB and top out at 128GB with the same price points. There's no reason for them to do this in terms of competition (they have none) but it would have been a great asset to consumers what with a bigger focus on content creation and management (artwork, movies, photos). Stuff that's going to take up so much room you don't want to push it all to iCloud.