Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Originally Posted By: Dignan

The content owners in the video space are very different and harder to work with.

That's absolutely true. But the iPod was on its way to domination well before Apple got involved with any content owners. And that's something they didn't do with Apple TV. There's no support for the common formats of the day, AVI, MKV, etc..

The difference is that it was trivial, even back in the day, to convert your audio content into digital form (it just used to take a little longer). The iPod was just the best hardware around for playing that content back.

It's much harder for the average user today to convert their video content into digital form. Even with DVDs, teaching the average user to use the relatively easy to use Handbrake isn't really feasible. It's not like iTunes, where they could just put in their CD and drag the tracks to their music library.

What's worse, in my mind, is how Apple has been moving away from a user's own content. It was difficult to "train" my mother with the idea that she HAD to leave her computer on all the time AND leave iTunes open. I set her Mac Mini to launch iTunes at startup, and I'm pretty sure I found some way to keep it from being closed. All so she wouldn't get all the way downstairs, get all comfy in front of the TV, and realize she couldn't watch any of her stuff. That's especially including home videos.

The Apple TV is a great product, but it's so incredibly limited. It's really just a window into iTunes with a little Netflix thrown in.

Nobody has figured out the video side of this yet.

Oh, and don't get me started on the whole "we at Apple are so awesome for giving you 1080p now." I should be used to this whole "this technology is stupid until we say it isn't" attitude from Apple, but it still gets me every time...