I was wondering if anyone could share how they have their Vonage wired up.

Vonage sent me a Linksys RT31P2 router with built-in adapter for the phones. I plugged this between my cable modem and my Netgear router and all seemed to go well. I didn't use any of the Linksys router features. Basically, I was just using it to hook up my phones and pass the internet onto my Netgear.

Then, I realized my ftp server wasn't working anymore. Yep, the Linksys has built-in firewall.

Try #2. I then tried to hook the Linksys box downstream of my Netgear router. This required disabling its DHCP server and giving it a friendly IP address. This "worked" except that now the Linksys/Vonage box was only getting bandwidth when it was available. Because it was downstream, it couldn't ensure "quality of service" and voices would drop during uploads.

Try #3. I put the Vonage/Linksys box up front again, directly connected to my modem. I then turned off the DHCP on my Netgear router and used it as a simple switch. Well, this doesn't work because the Netgear wasn't letting the DHCP signals from the Linksys box go through (on the Netgear page, they say this is to be expected.)

Try #4. Just like above, but re-enable DHCP on the Netgear and disable it on the Linksys. For some reason, the internet stopped working with this setup, even with "friendly" IP address. I'm hoping I can get it going, then forward ports 21-22 from the Linksys to the Netgear and then tell the Netgear which PC to forward them to.

It looks like most Vonage users are getting some new Linksys router with a 3rd party firmware that allows for prioritizing the traffic to suit the Vonage box, even if it's behind the router.