After doing some research, I found that VoicePulse is the best thing going right now, at least for my needs. I found this table useful in comparing the services, though the metrics towards the end overstate the case for how much better it is than Vonage. In terms of pure value, I think VoicePulse has the edge, especially when you look at all the features they throw in. They sent me a Sipura SPA-2000 ATA at no charge, though I think I have to return it to them if I don't keep it for like a year or something, and it's "locked" to their service (though the 2nd port is free for some other service.)

Caller ID shows up name and number (which you can customize if you don't like what the phone company is sending) and it displays fine on my Caller ID phone and DirecTV receiver. Faxes and modems tend not to work over VoIP, but some people have had success after dropping fax/modem baud rates and tweaking codecs of the VoIP connection.

FWIW, my service has been good so far, but I would only use VoIP as your only phone if you're confident in your ISP. If your broadband connection is flaky or inconsistent, your voice service will be also.