Quote:
I didn't think of my Tivos. Both are wireless at the moment but I was planning of going back to the phone line for one of them. What do I need to think about before doing that? I have Series2 Tivos.

This worked for me and others. I don't think it's guaranteed to work, but there is something with this dial-in number that is VoIP-friendly. Before taking your house off of POTS service, change your dial-in number to 212-920-3005 (Manhattan North). That should be it. No other * or ,# codes are needed with that number and has worked every single time for me. The old number in New City, NY I used to call didn't work and neither does the toll-free number tivo calls to get dial-in numbers for your specified area code. The ~monthly call to DirecTV should work since it's always placed at only 9600bps. I don't know if this call was made yet though, so I'm not 100% on that. If that call doesn't go through you will have to order PPV from directv.com.

Quote:
Pardon me, but I don't really know how this voip stuff works. Would I be able to connect via dialup modem over it?

Probably as long as you can lower the modem's speed. 14.4k should work everytime if you dial *99 before the number. It will definitely work if you pay an $10 per month for a fax line with Vonage. If it doesn't you can yell at them. 14.4k should be the highest speed you can hope to accomplish though.