I disagree. I watch SW and ESB all the time. They're great movies. They have a lot of heart, which is mostly what's lacking in the recent ventures. Now, there are a lot of other problems with the later ones, but it mostly comes down to the fact that they don't really have the same feeling of grandeur that the original ones did. Just consider the fact that he tried to explain away the Force in pseudo-scientific terms.

One quick thing that just occurred to me is that the originals (mostly because of technical constraints) weren't able to show everything that's going on, so the movies were centered around a few very important but fairly small events in the plot of the movie. That let our minds fill in the blanks and create a massive universe. But in the newer movies, he tries as hard as he can to show us everything, and in doing so, reduces the size of what's going on, even though he actually shows us more, because we really get the impression that that's it; we're seeing everything and there is no more.

(Edit: Oh -- and I don't expect a masterpiece. I just expect an entertaining movie. And I haven't seen one from him in the last few years. This one was even less entertaining than Ep1, to me.)

Edited by wfaulk (20/05/2002 14:39)