Quote:
I guess the concept of upgrading a laptop just eludes me. Especially the smaller light weight models I prefer. The parts are just so tightly integrated, nothing is really interchangable.

I'm not expecting to change the CPU or video chip in my notebook (although some high end desktop replacements are starting to make that easier), but upgrading the hard drive and RAM are the key to extending the usable lifetime of a computer. I don't think I've ever gone for more than a year before I'm ready to increase both of those.

My point about Sony compared to Dell/Compaq/IBM is that those latter vendors often make it a design goal to allow the user to perform the basic upgrades. Sony's designs regarding upgrades often range from not caring to seemingly going out of their way to make it difficult.

Sony makes customer unfriendly choices in other ways, too. I remember reading complaints that Sony didn't make XP drivers for their proprietary hardware which shipped with Windows ME even though these were still relatively new machines when XP became MS's consumer OS.

I also happen to be a bit annoyed at Apple right now as I look at the difficulty of replacing the HDD in my PowerBook. Fortunately, with Apple products you can find step by step instructions with pictures while my friend had to largely wing it with his Sony.

Quote:
Customized batteries are one of my pet peaves. I don't think I've seen two model laptops that used a common battery pack.

Yeah, wouldn't that be great? At least they don't have to blatently rip you off because they've got you trapped. Dell/Compaq tend to be in the range of $100 for a battery and $40 for A/C. Apple is like $130 and $80 I believe. Then there is Sony giving the big FU with their $250 batteries.