In reply to:

What you fail to realise is that, if emplode is talking to the empeg via ethernet, then the empeg is now a black box. You don't need to know anything about the player, you just need to know how emplode BEHAVES.

I agree that the empeg is a black box, and you could produce a tool if you know how emptool / emplode behaves etc...

However (and I speculate at this point) I've written a few messaging protocols, and you normally use the same library code at both ends (less work, right) which abstracts the protocol.
empeg have specific stuff in the protocol code (or emptool code, I don't know) that they can't release at this time, so they have to spend effort to clean that up...
That effort is probably less than documenting how emptool / emplode behaves at a low level (because using protocol objects both ends removes the need to document the actual protocol to the detail you would need to create a compatible tool.)

Anyway, as I said, that is speculation... We know empeg are very busy, and if cleaning up the code for release is going to be done, and documenting the protocol isn't, then you'll have to wait for the code...

Jazz
(List 112, Mk2 12 gig #40. Mk1 for sale 4 gig #30, apply within)

Jazz (List 112, Mk2 42 gig #40. Mk1 4 gig #30. Mk3 1.6 16v)