Firstly, I'll assume that the error described in the subject of these posts has been a typo. I think it should be 800703e4.

Warning. Technical bit. :)

This error is due to Windows OVERLAPPED IO going wrong. Basically, emplode issues a read request and then waits (with a timeout) for it to complete. In the cases that this error occurs in it appears that Windows has said that the operation is complete but when emplode tries to get the results Windows claims that the operation isn't complete at all.

It may be a bug in emplode but I've been over the code several times as has our new Windows expert (and I'd be happy to send the code to any expert in the area that is reading this now). It is interesting that no-one (to my knowledge - without actively checking) has reported this error on Windows 2000. In fact, I'm suspicious that it may only affect Windows 98 SE.

This error should have nothing to do with funny characters in filenames or reading files off CD or networks. emplode shouldn't be so timing critical that reading files from CD would cause a problem unless you have a very badly written CD driver.

--
Mike Crowe
I may not be speaking on behalf of empeg above :-)