Quote:
if you are not an ID proponent, you're certainly "playing one on TV" for the purposes of our discussion. I'm happy to debate this with you, with the understanding that you're not squarely in the ID camp.
Just to clarify, I believe in an Intelligent Designer (obviously), but I'm not certain whether scientific observations can lead to the reasonable conslusion of one as ID claims. That claim is what I would like to see discussed rather than the Creation vs. Evolution bit that always gets dregged up.

Quote:
Observations need not be tested all, because they're observations, things we see. "Did you see the bacteria in the petri dish die faster than it did with the placebo? Yes? Good, the antibiotic works." Observations are themselves part of the testing of hypotheses, not something to be tested.
Ok, good clarification of terminology. The idea behind ID, though, is that scientific observations support the existense of an Intelligent Designer.

Quote:
more evidence than the ID theory has (that being zero)
This being the point of interest. The observations that I've heard have been very convincing, though also offered in a vacume without a chance to hear from non-ID.

Quote:
assuming a layman like myself can make sense of it.
Hah, nice jab. I think you've probably got a better handle on science than I do.

Quote:
I have read summaries of several ID papers (none in their entirety,) but you're going to have to explain the term "scientific backing" to me for me to answer your question. Scientific backing, to me, means evidence, and I've seen nothing that comes close to evidence to support ID. Everything I've read from Dembski and other ID proponents has zero scientific evidence. Show me scientific evidence in any ID material, and I'll be happy to read it.
If I get a chance I'll try to re-locate some of the sources talking about the scientific evidences that support an Intelligent Designer. Truth be told, I've gotten rather tired of the discussion because of how it's been twisted into something else for ideological reasons, but as I stated in my first post, I'm actually interested in hearing real discussion on the topic.