Quote:
Anyway, the most important thing for me is stability. Is the Alpha release going to crash on me?

Probably. I have been using this for the last half week or so, which amount to maybe 4 or 5 hours of drive time. It has rebooted on me two times, had strange pauses and other wierdness a few times, and frozen (requiring me to pull it out and stick it back in again) once. More problematically, Emplode is still pretty flaky and crashed the first time I have used it, requiring a rebuild of the database. And I suspect, given what other people are reporting, it still can get stuck in a rebooting loop on a particular location.

All of these problems have been in the previous Alphas, and while it is a bit early to say for sure, it seems that Alpha 11 is no less or more stable than 8 was. Which, for me, is fine. I wouldn't go back to V2 for the world, I like a lot of the newer features. And most of the problems seem pretty minor. Emplode being flaky is a bit more problematic, but I rarely change the music on my player nowadays more than once a month and I can deal.

I don't want to sound like I am bitching, I really do appreciate the guys still working on these and understand that anything we get nowadays is just gravy. But if stability is your main concern, I would still say stay away.

Edit: Funny, nearly simultaneous replies with pretty opposite responses. The funny thing is that the problem frog51 reports I haven't seen. So obviously YMMV.

Edited by ninti (02/08/2005 15:15)