Quote:
This is an insanely complicated scheme. If I wanted to this then I'd hang a chip off the I2C bus inside the empeg. A user land app to do the controlling as well instead of wedging it into the kernel and wasting memory.

I never said anything about the kernel, a userland app is the way to go. The I2C bus you speak of is this the one for the tuner? or is there another one?

andym
Quote:
I shouldn't say this, but I'm in an incredibly foul mood right now.... If I had a pound for every person who joined this board, came up with a 'great' idea for empeg hardware and software mods and then delivered sweet FA then I'd have at least a tenner.... and just to stop you moaning I'm actually included in this list as I will never have the time to build my DAB tuner.

yes I agree but of all the things I've wanted to add this is by far the simplest, and the hardware+firmware is within my ability.

The reason I mentioned IRDA was it would allow me to controll my atmel chip without opening my empeg to change the settings, and maybe allow a userland app to talk to my chip via serial port that never gets used on my player. the I2C buss just allows more options.

If anyone has a better/simpler idea for controlling the atmel I'd like to hear it.