So, how crazy would it be for me to try and track down the original empeg button steel injection molding tool, lost somewhere in England?

First, good news. Things have been moving forward at a very constant pace. Constant e-mailing, frequent phone calls, and now, price quotes. I have finally struck gold by contacting "prototypers" who provide a service somewhere between hand casting (using short-life molds) and injection molding (molds created by machine and parts cast by machine). I'll should have a firm grip on services and prices from this nice middle ground by September 1st.

Then, the crazy news: Though the injecetion molders that I've contacted have been very professional about the job, their price for creating a mold ("tool") is roughly three times what I can afford. For that price, I might as well take a month off work, fly to England, and search for the original tool. So, what about that original tool? I've seen scattered slight references to it through the years on the BBS. Does anyone have any leads on it? Such as:

- Who did the original injection molding.
- Who designed the fascia and buttons (that's on the geek site, right?).
- Who would I have to pay off because they actually own the tool.
- Would copyright laws even allow me to set my hands on it.
- Has the ownership of the tool been lost in all the empeg company changes.

I'd be more than happy to use some of my weekly button project time to chase some international leads on this elusive block of steel. Any hints would be great. Thanks all.