Okay... just saw the other post I was unable to find before using the BBS 'seach' function.... (I was searching for 'hard drive' not 'hdd' as used in the thread).

Anyway, I saw the recommendations to check the hd cable and jumpers in that thread. It does seem odd that something loose would have caused this since all I did to get it out of this state was pull the player out about an inch and reseat it - but who knows. Actually starting to fear that I have a hard drive problem.(even though both drives have been replaced under warranty a few months of ago). I have another problem that may or may not be related where the player pauses and sometimes locks ups when the drive icon comes up - but I was hoping that was a 2.00 issue (I have seen other posts about this problem with 2.00). I only mention this as it seems to occur fairly often (usually at least once everytime I use the player).

This player came back with a new warranty seal when the mainboard was replaced a few months ago under warranty (memory problem) and I didn't want to break it. However, I think my warranty on the original player just ended last month anyway ... but I have to double check before breaking the seal.

Still open to any suggestions if there is anything I can check without opening it up.