Originally Posted By: tfabris
There are tons of devices that would benefit from being web-enabled[...]There was always a lot of talk about web-enabled appliances

Lots of talk, yes. But just because there's lots of talk about it, doesn't mean that it's an idea with merit, just that the idea merits discussion. Remote operability/monitoring just isn't useful for the majority of stuff in my house, and the stuff I can think of where I would like a wireless-enabled appliance, it's either not data I want on the cloud (privacy issues!), or the feature isn't so valuable to me that I'd be willing to pay an on-going subscription fee.

Originally Posted By: tfabris
An imp could, for example, text me when the dryer cycle was done so that I could run upstairs and pull out my dress shirts before they got wrinkled (I'm usually out of earshot of the buzzer).

Really? A text message? *shrug*

My dryer (that I bought >5 years ago) has a little display with a count-down timer. I can set an alarm on my phone from the display on the dryer, if I don't want to miss the end of the cycle. No imp necessary, no text message necessary, no cloud necessary, no subscription fee necessary. (And if I *do* miss the end of the cycle, then I can just use that "touch-up" feature.)