Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: sn00p
I've had an imp for a couple of weeks now and I'm still struggling to see the point of it

I think that's the problem: You've *just* got the imp. By itself, it doesn't do anything. The point is that other devices will be built *around* the imp, and *those* are what will be cool. The imp fills a technological gap for any inventor who can build a neat physical device, but can't make good web-enabled software.

There are tons of devices that would benefit from being web-enabled, if only the people who made those devices could write decent software. There was always a lot of talk about web-enabled appliances, but it turns out most of the appliance manufacturers are only good at making reliable appliances. An imp could, for example, text me when the dryer cycle was done so that I could run upstairs and pull out my dress shirts before they got wrinkled (I'm usually out of earshot of the buzzer). But the imp doesn't do that by itself, it needs the circuit to integrate it with the dryer. You need both bits before it's useful.

It's like the Arduino. You could buy an Arduino Uno board and stare at it and say "well this is useless". Or you could design a circuit that does something cool with it. Or, you could buy any number of devices that are already made by someone else, which happen to *leverage* the Arduino internally.

I work on embedded projects Tony, I'm aware of what I have in my hands! smile

I just fail to see why I'd spend $25 (per device) on something that tells me that my dryer is finished or my kettle has boiled or my fridge door is open etc.

They all have the same thing in common, they're all things that happen local to me, but because of the architecture of the imp require that the trigger go out over the network and then bounce back down to my phone, if my internet goes down I'll never know that my kettles boiled or my dryers finished...apart from the the fact that they're probably beeping or it's been 3 minutes since I turned it on.

Same for home automation, sounds like an ideal application, but again it's dependant on the cloud. No internet, no worky.

Show me something cool and convince me otherwise, but I still can't see it's usefulness other than being a curiosity.

Don't get me wrong, I want to like it, I want to see the use in it, I want it to succeed. I'm just struggling.