Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Don't convert them to PDF or Word in order to edit them.
Bitt, you misunderstand just a little bit. The original poor quality pages were scanned and saved as a PDF file (the default for my scanner). Some time after doing that (with the original source material no longer available), I decided I should try cleaning up the pages, which required that they be in some graphic format. So I experimented, saving the PDF file first as a multi-page TIFF file, then (just to see if I could) as a DOC file, and finally just a few days ago as a PNG file. When I saved it as a PNG, it saved it as 170 separate files, each one editable. When I have them all looking as best I can (which will still be pretty awful) I'll put them back together as a PDF file so I can print them.

OCR won't work in this case, the original is too damaged. Some of the pages were skewed so badly that part of the text was missing and had to be reconstructed, and much of the remaining text is distorted and fragmented with parts of letters very light or missing altogether. There are lots of places where there are dark smudges. It is readable by a human because missing data is provided by the context of the sentence, but OCR would fail. In addition, there are lots of drawings, diagrams, text boxes, etc.

What I am trying to do here is salvage and re-create a used teaching workbook that is now out of print for my Spanish language teacher. Fun times!

The two attached files will give you and idea of what I am up against.

tanstaafl.

Attachments
Before.png (521 downloads)
Description: Before...

After.png (467 downloads)
Description: After...