Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.
I am quite pleased with my DealExtreme multi-meter, which actually has more features than the Fluke meter linked above.

I'm glad you're pleased with it, but it hardly has more features:

DE: Resistance, AC Volts, DC Volts, AC Current, DC Current, Capacitance, Transistor current gain

Fluke: Resistance, AC Volts, DC Volts, AC Current, DC Current, Capacitance, Frequency, Temperature, Continuity/Diode test

To be fair, the continuity/diode test is trivial, but it is nice to have the beep, which the DE one may or may not have. On the other side of the coin, no one uses the transistor tester on a multimeter. It must be super-trivial to implement, because it's there on every cheapo multimeter.

So the Fluke has two more features (Frequency and Temperature) than the DE one, and has a number of usability features, the most important of which is that it's autoranging. The DE one is not, which is what makes it appear to have more features at first glance, since there are more positions on the selector.

Then the one you linked to is waterproof, ruggedized, etc. A more basic Fluke is around $225. Still a hell of a lot more than $13.66, given.