I would say that if you can't decide between a new point and shoot or a DSLR you should go for a really nice point and shoot.

I see so many people at weddings trying to take pictures with some crappy DSLR with the kit lens on that it drives me mad. They are all using the pop up flash and many ask me why my pictures look so different when they have the "same" camera. The point and shoots are so impressive these days I think they all would be much better off with them.

Photography is only 10% equipment in my opinion, the rest is down to you. You should pick kit not based on reviews but what feels good in your hand, it feels right to use straight out of the box and you know you want to take with you. Sure Camera A may have better noise performance that Camera B but as long as it captures that moment, who cares ???

Outside of professional reasons I never have a camera with me apart from my iPhone. I found that I spent ages messing around with my camera and had almost no time enjoying the moment, so now I let other people do that if they want. Isn't that what facebook is for smile

On the micro-adjust features, if you are a Pro then it is very useful. I've found most of my lenses needed some kind of adjustment, and focus is now a little better across my kit. Does it make a difference in landscapes? Nope! But if you are working in low light without flash at f1.2 of f1.4 the difference can be quite impressive.

Cheers

Cris