Quote:
But me, I'm with Bitt on this one (neither of us are particularly wealthy, I suspect), and doing something like that myself would be the way to go if the cost was more than, say, 50 cents per slide scanned.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say. Both services are just under US$0.50 a piece, but that's for 2000 DPI. The scanner I'm looking at is 7200 DPI. Do I really need that high resolution? Of course not, but it's neat.

Look up how long it will take per frame to scan at that resolution. You might be surprised, or maybe you already know, but it's a LONG time PER FRAME. Add up the time per frame and it gets ridiculous really fast. I don't remember the exact numbers as I did the math in my head for my frames, but even though I could borrow a scanner, it STILL wasn't worth my time by any stretch to scan at 2000 dpi much less 7200. And as you mentioned, you'll most likely never need that kind of res. And if you do, it will probably be for one or two slides that you can scan at a high res when needed.

Quote:

There also is the new toy factor, but I'm sure after doing 50 slides, the shine will be off that apple really quickly. Still, it's not something that I have to focus on at the time. I can just hook it up to my laptop and scan them in while I'm watching TV or whatever. Postprocessing can be done post-scanning.

Don't forget to add the post time to the per slide scanning time mentioned above. It all adds up. Believe me, I'm in the same vein as you guys on this, I rarely pay for something I can do myself, but this is one of those things that after running the numbers and after having actually tried to do it before and realizing how time intensive it is... If I ever get around to it, I'm paying for it., and I'm the opposite of wealthy.