Quote:
At CES in 2005 DirecTV was promoting the concept of recording and playback on arbitrary receivers throughout the home. You could start watching a show downstairs and continue it upstairs. While either of those boxes was recording something else.

This was their initial preview of their own (NDS) boxes. They didn't have a concrete feature list of what would and would not make it into production hardware, but it's obviously something they cared enough about to promote, so it seems like it would eventually materialize. I don't think you could share shows like that with any TiVo model when they were showing this at CES.

I remember hearing that a few years back. IIRC, the concept was cool too. Basically, all of the signals came into a central box somewhere in your house that had like 8 tuners in it. The one box would handle all recording. Then, you can place boxes throughout the house to stream from the main box via ethernet or wireless. It'd make installs a lot cheaper because you'd only need one central location for all of the connections to the dish.

EDIT: What surprised me on the DBS forum is that nobody is asking for the feature of sharing shows.

Edited by SE_Sport_Driver (17/01/2007 22:15)