Quote:
but it's such a pain messing with drm and my empeg that I have spent a lot more time looking at independent artists and websites like garageband.com where often they are available for free downloads.

That's just it - it's a freakin PAIN to deal with what these schlubs are pushing. I considered iTunes until I found out I'd have to burn, then re-rip the songs I buy. Ya, sure, I own 'em. I can put 'em on a CD. But whiny little me wants to side-step the whole inconvenience thing. Oh - that and I have to join before I can ever see their list of available content. Idiots.

garageband.com?? Cool - I'll have to check them out...

Quote:
I've also found in a lot of cases, that independent music is more interesting and origional- it's just difficult to find and weed out the crummy stuff.

That's the problem with music in general. I have about 12 albums I'd like to buy - but don't know if they're worth it - and don't want to give the RIAA any money anyway until they stop suing 12-yr old girls. Yeesh.

I just get the feeling the rest of the world isn't paying any attention. So I thought I would ask.

What the RIAA needs is a donation site. Download all the songs you want - then pay us something you feel is appropriate for what you have. (go ahead, laugh.. a lot of this is togue in cheek - but hey, some great ideas start this way)

Seriously, suing your customers and raising prices and yada yada... not the way to make friends... let alone friends you want to have give you their money.

-Ben