OK, time to weigh in on "the South" (which may "rise again," according to some, may the Lord have mercy on their souls).

Having already admitted to having a lineage that includes Gen. Lee (the Civil War era historical figure, not the disco-era TV show prop), I feel that 8 generations of Southern So-Called Aristocracy (ha!) qualifies me to contribute .02+.02.

I've lived in Colorado for 12 years, having left North Carolina over *exactly* the issues some have raised here re: racism and intolerance. Funny thing about the move: when I arrived, all the watercooler talk was about how a Colorado Springs org. called "Focus on the Family" (btw, founded by a local used-car salesman) was spearheading anti-Gay campaigns. Then Matthew Shepard was beaten to death in WY. I'm not Gay, but it goes to show: everywhere you go, there you are.

SWMBO, on the other hand, believes most of the stereotypes of southerners out there (and reflected here) are driven by Hollywood's on-going "Deliverance" obsession. She insists the enclave of enlightenment around Appalachian State University where she was raised (and hung out in coffee shops with Tom Robbins and Orson Scott Card) was never like that. Fine and dandy.

In summary, I know from whence these stereotypes come. They are rarely complete fabrications, but the blanket completeness of them is clearly fabricated from whole cloth. It's always all the pesky exceptions that disprove a "rule."

The way in which 9/11 changed me is that I would once have quoted somebody with whom I share the experience of being beaten up by racist cops (and I'm white): "Can't we all just get along?" Recent history shows the unfortunate answer all too clearly. Striving for civil discource on this board is well and good, but what happens when that guy and his lawyer show back up at Heather's workplace? I'm guessing more than the exchange of kind words....