The guy seems sick enough to ride the bomb all the way even if if takes thousands of innocents and supporters with him.

This is what I fear the most. The religious/military fanatic level seems to have risen quite sharply in recent years, and moreso in recent months with the N Korea crisis. I think that the governments know a lot more than they are letting on about capabilities of the fanatics in the world. Given the fact Saddam has had 12 years to disarm and the UN keeps giving him "more time," he'll keep dragging his feet and laughing all the way ot the bank with his billions he makes selling oil outside of the UN sanctions and moving his missles and alleged WMD all around his backyard like an 8 year old kid with his toy soldiers. He's playing the UN for fools and he's winning.
I support Dubya in his decision, but I really think his old man should've taken the crazy bastard out in 1991. That's where the mistake was made originally. War is not good, but neither is Saddam and he has to go. Just MHO here...