Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#291451 - 07/09/2007 21:11 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: maczrool]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:

How much soda drinks do most of you drink in the average day?

Zero*. I find it hard to understand the compulsion to drink any significant amount of soda drinks, but then I fully understand the compulsion to over eat and drink half a dozen cups of coffee a day...

* ok, so it isn't zero, but I probably only drink two or three cans of Coke Zero a month, so it is close to zero

#291452 - 08/09/2007 00:05 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: andy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:

Zero*.

* ok, so it isn't zero, but I probably only drink two or three cans of Coke Zero a month, so it is close to zero

Zero for me. I haven't had a sip* of soda in over three and a half years. It always made me feel like crap, so one day I just said "That's it," and I never drank the stuff again. The only carbonated beverage I drink is sparkling apple cider.

*OK, I must also qualify my response. I've had exactly two sips of soda, both at the same time. A friend had found a soda in a local store called "Cel-Ray," which touted the dubious distinction of being the only soda to be celery flavored. I simply had to taste that. The funny part is, I hadn't had soda in two years, so when I sipped it, all I could taste was an extreme amount of sugar. Then *POW*, the distinct and dead-on taste of celery.

It was weird.

#291453 - 08/09/2007 01:31 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: maczrool]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:

Some days zero, some days half a dozen. Probably on average one to two. That doesn't take into account sweet tea, though.

#291454 - 08/09/2007 19:22 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: wfaulk]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Depends how much alcohol I drink. On a non drinking day I'll maybe have one can of Irn Bru. If I am out for the night I am likely to have 10 or 15 glasses of something with a fizzy mixer - generally different each time, but certainly loads of coke, lemonade, tonic, soda - you name it:-)
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#291455 - 08/09/2007 22:49 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: maczrool]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
I'm at the range of a six pack a day. I'm slowly migrating off of Dr Pepper and more towards milk and just plain water. I'm really trying to kick the caffeine habit, but it's a tough one due to the very real physical withdrawals. I get severe headaches if I don't get enough by say 10 AM. I should have quit during Katrina, as I had no access to caffeine for a few days and I didn't even notice due to the massive amounts of adrenaline running through me. The real problem is that I'm not only addicted, but I LIKE it.

#291456 - 08/09/2007 22:53 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: frog51]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
Irn Bru

You are such a perfect stereo type

#291457 - 09/09/2007 08:37 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: lectric]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
I'm really trying to kick the caffeine habit, but it's a tough one due to the very real physical withdrawals. I get severe headaches if I don't get enough

I went cold turkey on caffeine about 15 years ago, when I was up to 4 litres of Coke a day. I had a dull headache for the first couple of days, then I felt fine. These days I'll have maybe one cup of tea per day, and the only fizzy drink I touch tends to be mixed with something stronger.

#291458 - 09/09/2007 09:36 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: JBjorgen]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Lately I've been getting glass bottled Cokes imported from Mexico instead of the local ones. They taste way better to me with the real sugar.

I went to a Mexican restaurant (shack) near Rio Santa Clara once, and all my US colleagues ordered bottled Coke, making sure the (not noticeably anglophone) waitress understood about the "bottled" part. When I asked them why they were so careful to get the bottled stuff, they explained that it came in bottles from Mexico and so was made with sugar, whereas the draught stuff was made from US-sourced concentrate and so was made with HFCS. And they were quite right, I found out: the HFCS Coke just didn't taste right.

The weird thing for me was that, to foreigners like me, Coca-Cola is so iconic of the US -- but there I was in the US drinking it with Americans and they wouldn't touch it unless it was imported from Mexico...

Peter

#291459 - 09/09/2007 14:40 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

It may be relevant to point out, if it's not already been pointed out, that the Coca-Cola company sells unsweetened cola syrup to its bottlers, who then add sweetener and water themselves. Coca-Cola claims it does not make any rules about what the bottlers use to sweeten it. So we should really be arguing with the bottlers about what they use, not with Coca-Cola itself. Of course, Coca-Cola also tries to prevent people from importing Coca-Cola from countries (mostly Mexico) that use sugar. It might be that part of their contract with distributors includes making sure that other distributors do not infringe on their territory, but they are somewhat overzealous about it.

#291460 - 09/09/2007 17:27 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Roger]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Quote:

I went cold turkey on caffeine about 15 years ago, when I was up to 4 litres of Coke a day. I had a dull headache for the first couple of days, then I felt fine. These days I'll have maybe one cup of tea per day, and the only fizzy drink I touch tends to be mixed with something stronger.

My cousin was drinking about that much Dr Pepper a day and went cold turkey, ended up in hospital with withdrawl symptoms, the "cold shakes" I think.

#291461 - 09/09/2007 19:47 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: andy]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Quote:
Quote:
Irn Bru

You are such a perfect stereo type

I try to be - of course, genetically I am half English and half Australian, so I need to try extra hard!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#291462 - 10/09/2007 02:17 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: maczrool]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:

I consume about one liter of diet cola per week, but I drink it in a mixture.

It's probably pointless for me to tell you what the mix is, because you'll just say "Ewww. That sounds awful" and you'll not try it. But believe me, it is excellent. So, here goes...

Mix up a can of frozen lemonade mix, following the instructions on the can. Add to that half of a two-liter bottle (or, alternatively, 3 12-Oz. cans) of diet cola (has to be diet, the regular is too sweet). This makes about 100 fluid ounces of really yummy stuff. It's better after it sits for a day, the flavor becomes richer for some reason. The tartness of the lemonade contrasted with the slight bitter aftertaste of the diet cola is quite good.

tanstaafl.

#291463 - 10/09/2007 12:41 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: maczrool]
Tim
veteran

Loc: Arizona
Quote:

I *might* drink a 20oz bottle of diet soda a day, during the week. During the weekend, I might have a 2l of Dr. Pepper, but not always. In general, it tends to be maybe three diets during the week. Other than that, it is water with the occasional energy drink.

#291464 - 10/09/2007 15:37 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: wfaulk]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
It may be relevant to point out, if it's not already been pointed out, that the Coca-Cola company sells unsweetened cola syrup to its bottlers, who then add sweetener and water themselves. Coca-Cola claims it does not make any rules about what the bottlers use to sweeten it. So we should really be arguing with the bottlers about what they use, not with Coca-Cola itself.

Weird. I'd think they'd be a little more like McDonald's, so that they have a consistent taste everywhere. But I'm glad they don't. It's been a while since I drank Coke from Canada, but ISTR it being made with sugar, rather than HFCS. Is that still the case?

My average sodas per day is approximately zero. Sometimes I'll have one mixed with juice, when flying. Sometimes I'll have one at a party. But those are really only when they're free. If I'm paying for it myself, I prefer to spend my money on the niche brands like Jones Soda, or, better yet, if I'm at a restaurant that brews their own root beer, I'll have a glass then.

#291465 - 10/09/2007 15:43 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: canuckInOR]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'd think they'd be a little more like McDonald's, so that they have a consistent taste everywhere.

I remember going to the beach as a kid (Myrtle Beach, IIRC) and the tap water down there being very sulfury. The weird thing is that the local Cokes were sulfury, too, because the local bottler just used local tap water as their water source. Terrible stuff. I'm sure the locals were totally used to it.

#327475 - 11/11/2009 16:26 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: wfaulk]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
*cough* *cough*
Dusting off this thread to insert a link to an article I just found.
High Fructose Corn Syrup: A Recipe For Hypertension, Study Finds

...also, in response to all the talk in the thread about drinking/not drinking soda-pop...
About a year ago I was suffering from nasty heartburn and acid reflux in the evenings. I cut out the sodas with my lunch and have been mostly trouble-free while enjoying iced tea instead.
I find that eating on a regular schedule also helps with that issue. None of that is really anything to do with HFCS- it's more of an 'acid management' strategy.

$0.02 delivered

#327479 - 11/11/2009 18:51 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Robotic]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Originally Posted By: Robotic
I cut out the sodas with my lunch and have been mostly trouble-free while enjoying iced tea instead.

I've done something similar, although probably not as healthy. I take the 24-ounce water bottle from my bike, dump a tray of ice cubes into it, add two healthy "squeezes" from a squeeze bottle of pure lemon juice and two scoops of sugar. The first few swallows are pretty intense, but as the ice melts and dilutes the mixture it becomes mellower. Cheap and thirst quenching.

tanstaafl.

#327496 - 12/11/2009 14:33 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Robotic]
Waterman981
old hand

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
About a year ago I was suffering from nasty heartburn and acid reflux in the evenings. I cut out the sodas with my lunch and have been mostly trouble-free while enjoying iced tea instead.

I have the joy of suffering through that as well. My doc told me it was more the caffeine, than soda itself. Apparently caffeine prohibits the valve between your stomach and esophagus from closing as it should. I just did like you and completely cut out soda, and that has also helped me a lot. I do miss Dr. Pepper though... wink

#040103696 on a shelf
Mk2a - 90 GB - Red - Illuminated buttons

#327497 - 12/11/2009 14:37 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Waterman981]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

They make a variety of caffeine-free versions of sodas, including Dr Pepper.

#327499 - 12/11/2009 14:50 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: wfaulk]
Robotic
pooh-bah

I was drinking root beer every day- no caffeine, just extra fizzy acid.
I miss the root beer, but not the heartburn!

#327501 - 12/11/2009 15:13 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Robotic]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Every soft drink on the planet is completely and utterly vile. And I don't buy for two seconds that Dr Pepper doesn't contain prunes. Or possibly cat feces.

On a related note, you can get Dr Pepper without HFCS in Texas - or over the internet.

#327504 - 12/11/2009 16:00 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: hybrid8]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Every soft drink on the planet is completely and utterly vile.
Don't hold back, Bruno. Tell us how you really feel! lol
And I don't buy for two seconds that Dr Pepper doesn't contain prunes.
From the flavor I always thought the original recipe would have been (for the most part) carbonated prune juice, but with modern recipes being so 'artificial' they've dropped the whole 'prune' connection.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
I like Dr Pepper... but don't drink it these days.

#327506 - 12/11/2009 16:22 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: Robotic]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

About the only soft drink I'll actually drink is Sprite (zero caffeine, not as much sweetener). Mostly, I'll just get water and be done with it.

(P.S. Is it just me, or are the older messages in this thread showing up with raw HTML tags rather than proper formatting?)

#327509 - 12/11/2009 16:49 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: DWallach]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Don't hold back, Bruno. Tell us how you really feel! lol

Most are vile simply by taste. But when you start looking at the ingredients... Ugh.

Originally Posted By: DWallach
Mostly, I'll just get water and be done with it.

That's exactly what I've been doing and it's served me well. Cavity free after 37 years.

It didn't hurt that I used to hate any type of carbonation at all. Now I don't mind it in some drinks. Namely beer - though I still prefer wine.

#327511 - 12/11/2009 16:50 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Every soft drink on the planet is completely and utterly vile

Yeah, I'm with you; Lemonade, water, and iced tea all suck! o_O

#327512 - 12/11/2009 16:53 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: wfaulk]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: wfaulk
Every soft drink on the planet is completely and utterly vile

Yeah, I'm with you; Lemonade, water, and iced tea all suck! o_O

"Soft Drink" = Soda Pop = Soda Fountain Drink = "Soda" = "Pop" = carbonated mystery drinks.

Not water. Not real lemonade, not real iced tea, not real juice.

#327513 - 12/11/2009 18:58 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: hybrid8]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

A soft drink is a not-hard drink, where "hard" means "containing alcohol".

If you meant to say "soda" or "fizzy drink" or "flavored HFCS-water" or whatever, you should probably say that.

Damn Spaniards, always being imprecise.

#327515 - 12/11/2009 19:03 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: wfaulk]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
A British friend of mine once discombobulated a waiter in a US restaurant by misunderstanding both terms and asking "Have you got any soft drinks other than soda?" -- meaning "Have you got any fizzy drinks other than soda water?", but sounding to the poor American chap more like some sort of Zen koan. "Is there an X which is not an X?"

Peter

#327516 - 12/11/2009 19:10 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: peter]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
LOL laugh

#327523 - 12/11/2009 21:43 Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup [Re: tfabris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I have never heard the term "soft drink" to describe a drink without alcohol, only a fizzy fountain drink (cola, 7-up, ginger-ale, etc..) I don't think this is a Canadian thing either, like milk in a bag. All other non-alcoholic drinks are usually referred to by their type, such as juice, tea, coffee, milk, etc.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >