Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#327602 - 17/11/2009 17:24 ARGH: Snow Leopard Custom Paper Sizes when printing...
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Can anyone with Snow Leopard let me know if they have access to the "Manage Custom Sizes.." option in the "Paper Size" menu when printing from various applications. For instance from Safari or a plain-text editor or Mail.

If you have the opportunity, try adding another printer to your setup and tell it to use the Gutenprint generic drivers. Let me know if you still do or don't have the ability to do the above.

I noticed that Snow Leopard brought back drivers for my printer, Lexmark Optra Lx+ (L, Lx, Lxn, etc..) I had been using the generic Gutenprint 5.2.3 PCL 5 driver. So I added a new printer with the new driver and notice I'm unable to use the custom sizes. I've since added back the Gutenprint driver and still can't use that option.

In Leopard the option was also somewhat broken, in that I could not select any of the sizes I had previously defined from that menu. I had to each time go into the Manage option and then pick the size in there.

When using a program like InDesign, I should be able to create a specific page size within it which will hopefully work on output to the correct custom sized paper. The above mainly impacts the ability to print non-formatted pages such as plain text or emails or photos (from some apps) to custom sized paper.

I've just tried on another system with the same results. However I can get the menu to appear when testing out some alternate driver selections. Most standard laser drivers appear to be missing the option. Color printers seem to have it.

#327605 - 17/11/2009 17:56 Re: ARGH: Snow Leopard Custom Paper Sizes when printing... [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

At work printing to an SMB shared Dell POS, no custom paper size option. OS X is using the "Generic PostScript Printer" driver.

At home with the HP Color LaserJet 2600n, and a driver just released yesterday, custom paper sizes works fine.

I'll have to dig into custom drivers later, not sure where to look for the HP printer.

#327623 - 18/11/2009 02:31 Re: ARGH: Snow Leopard Custom Paper Sizes when printing... [Re: drakino]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
app - can use custom paper size

Safari - NO
Firefox - YES
textedit - YES
Preview - NO
Mathmateca - YES
Excel - YES

p.s. The menu picks that lead to the dialog box seem to have a variety of choices. Some apps only had file/print, others had "file/page setup", or "file/page settings"

Not quite as uniform as I seem to remember it being under the old macOS.

Edited by gbeer (18/11/2009 02:42)