Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#296717 - 14/04/2007 12:48 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
A *lot* of people seem to prefer RAID 1+0 .... Or the other way around (0+1)

Technically, RAID 1+0 (more commonly referred to as "RAID 10"), is superior to RAID 0+1 due to the number of drives that can be lost and the RAID still remain active, but, in the case of just four drives total (which is the minimum setup for these types of RAID), it degenerates to being the same.

#296718 - 14/04/2007 14:13 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Quote:
Wow! Thanks Mark!

Well, on a related note: the Feisty bug database is presently littered with RAID roadkill. Lots of people seem to have seen similar installer issues to what I ran into, and my fix for it (intervene in the boot process to get it up, and then just update the packages to repair it all) doesn't work for most of them.

Okay, the latest word on this is that those fixes have now made it into the installer disks as of 14-April-2007, and RAID installs now seem to be working for everyone.

Woo-Hoo!

#296719 - 14/04/2007 14:37 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
Quote:
But still no extra 250GB

In an ideal world I would just go out any buy 4 x 500Gb SATA drives, a local supplier has Seagate drives at under £70 now. With this solution 1Tb would be more than enough so RAID10 would be the perfect solution.

Although speed isn't a major issue at present, I'm running and ever increasing Gigabit network at home. At the moment it's just the Macbook and one of the servers as my switch only has 2 Gigabit ports. I have noticed that even though the spec of the new NAS box is much higher than my current clarkconnect firewall, the CC box transfers are much quicker. This could be down to the intel gigabit nic I suppose, the one in the NAS is a £15 D-Link (nasty!).

If only I had put a bet on Ascot I could be straight down to pick up my SATA drives

Cheers

Cris.

#296720 - 14/04/2007 14:40 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
Okay, the latest word on this is that those fixes have now made it into the installer disks as of 14-April-2007, and RAID installs now seem to be working for everyone.

With the final release so imminent I may wait for that.

Am I right in assuming I can't boot from RAID5? Or could I do a complex setup of striping and mirroring a 1Gb partition and then RAID5 the rest? Putting a 5th drive in the system isn't something I really want to do at this stage if I can help it.

Cheers

Cris.

#296721 - 14/04/2007 14:57 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Cris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Oh, one tip if you go software side. Don't RAID the hard disk. Create partitions on the disks and RAID those, making the partition a bit smaller then the hard disk. That way, if one of your Brand X 120gig drives fails, and only a Brand Y 120g can be found later. There is a possibility Brand Y 120 gig will be a smidge smaller then Brand X, and by using a smaller setup of space on the old disk, the new one should still work into the array.

Quote:
I do have enough spare HD's to run 4 x 250Gb and 3 x 120Gb arrays

Another advantage to using partitions would be for this setup. Instead of making two separate arrays with two separate disk groups, you could make 2 arrays across the entire 7 disks. IE, 120gb in use on all 7 disks for a 720gig usable RAID chunk, then with the 130 gigs left on the 250s, turn that into a 390 gig usable array.

I'm currently doing something similar in my server. It has 3 160 drives, 1 200, and 1 500. All 5 are in the 160 gig per disk RAID. The 200 is in there because I couldn't find another 160 to replace the second failure in the array, and the spare 40gigs of space ends up being used as a quick and easy place to store a few backups of /etc and other critical areas of the root drive to allow me to restore to an earlier time. The 500 uses the spare space it has as my "unraid" share. This gets used by my laptop and Mac Mini as a backup space. I'm tempted to go grab another 2 500 gig drives and expand that unprotected space into a proper raid 5, along with expanding the 160 gig per disk raid area I have.

#296722 - 14/04/2007 16:02 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Am I right in assuming I can't boot from RAID5? Or could I do a complex setup of striping and mirroring a 1Gb partition and then RAID5 the rest? Putting a 5th drive in the system isn't something I really want to do at this stage if I can help it.

I'm not sure on that one. GRUB cannot boot from RAID5 yet; LIlO might be able to. But neither of them would be able to handle failover situations, so, *no*.

The standard way is to have a smallish RAID1 partition for /boot (or the rootfs), and a RAID5 partition for the rest. On each drive. Just like in the article I linked earlier. Plus a few extra GRUBbies so that grub will auto-failover among the available RAID1 partitions. I haven't set that up yet, but will give it a go later. Maybe tomorrow, as The Game will be on in an hour here, and I'd like to watch it (almost) live..

Cheers

#296723 - 14/04/2007 16:07 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

The standard way is to have a smallish RAID1 partition for /boot (or the rootfs), and a RAID5 partition for the rest. On each drive. Just like in the article I linked earlier.

That article also suggested going with a rather complex LVM setup on top of the RAID5, and then a complex partitioning setup on top of that. This also implies having the swap partition there, on the LVM on the RAID5. One plus with this, is that then swap won't go bonkers if a disk fails, thus avoiding another source of system crashes.

EDIT: LVM (Logical Volume Manager) is just a way of grouping things together into a new virtual "block device (disk)", which can then be partitioned etc.. just like a real drive (and more..). The reason you need it here, is that the RAID drivers in Linux don't currently support being partitioned themselves. So by assigning LVM to manage the entire RAID, one can then partition the LVM instead of the lower-level RAID, and it works. Hack. /EDIT.

Personally, I'd partition each drive identically: smallish RAID1 partition, largish RAID5 partition. Put /boot on the RAID1, use LVM on the RAID5. Then partition the LVM with a smallish swap area, a pair of small/medium O/S partitions, and a massive data partition.

With the two O/S partitions, you can experiment with a newer O/S version in the future, and yet still have your original working O/S version intact until all is well with the new one.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (14/04/2007 16:10)

#296724 - 14/04/2007 16:14 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

With the two O/S partitions, you can experiment with a newer O/S version in the future, and yet still have your original working O/S version intact until all is well with the new one.

Note that an advanced user would likely have just a single O/S partition, and would not immediately allocate the rest of the LVM to the massive data area.

Instead, they would allocate from the LVM to the data area in large chunks, as the need grows. And they'd use the nifty "LVM snapshot" capability to "fork" the O/S partition when experimenting with upgrades.

Very very fancy and useful, but maybe a bit much for starting out.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (14/04/2007 16:15)

#296725 - 14/04/2007 17:41 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: drakino]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
Quote:
Oh, one tip if you go software side. Don't RAID the hard disk. Create partitions on the disks and RAID those, making the partition a bit smaller then the hard disk. That way, if one of your Brand X 120gig drives fails, and only a Brand Y 120g can be found later. There is a possibility Brand Y 120 gig will be a smidge smaller then Brand X, and by using a smaller setup of space on the old disk, the new one should still work into the array.

The same thing can apply to disks even of the same model number, I had an expensive mistake where my 18GB IBM drives were a few hundreds of kilo bytes smaller than the existing disks with the same model number, making them useless as replacements in my RAID5 array.

#296726 - 15/04/2007 18:47 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Cris]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Mmmm. I stumbled across the www.cooldrives.com site today. Wow, what a selection of interfaces, enclosures, etc. for SATA / IDE stuff.

Cheers

#296727 - 15/04/2007 22:51 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Cris]
Seth
new poster

Cris,
I too got the same LSI Megaraid card--couple days ago too. Having similar issues. I figured I'd explore recovery scenarios before I have to use them for real in the future. I too had trouble getting the array to rebuild, even in Windows with Power Console Plus. The best it ever did was rebuild to 50% overnight and freeze at 50%. Other times it just failed, or went to about 28% and then started over. I even tried rebuilding just within the WebBIOS utility and that failed.

Oh, yeah, and to clarify, all I did was take one of the working drives, "fail" it, and then attempt to make it rebuild. Same drive that was just working, so that eliminates all those "sizing" issues and other random gotchas. No reason it shouldn't rebuild.

It is SLOOOOOOOOW rebuilding even when making progress. An hour to rebuild about 5% or so--I have brand new 300GB drives. I also tried adjusting the rebuild speed. I can handle it taking a half day to rebuild as long as it actually rebuilds to 100%. But 3 consecutive failures is not acceptable.

Is this the problem you were having?

For me at this point, I'm saying no to MegaRAID. I starting to think mlord is right. Software RAID may be the way to go. I've always been under the impression that a hardware solution was better, or at least easier. But I'm rethinking that opinion now. The i4 card was made before all the gigantic and faster 7200rpm drives, so I'm guessing that has something to do with it. I also don't like the lie in the product datasheet on LSI's site. It says auto-resume rebuild upon reboot. That does NOT happen, and if you search their knowledge base, it actually says that the card restarts the rebuild process FROM THE BEGINNING upon reboot. That is just a simple lie. I suppose the "hot swap" claim is probably also a lie at this point.

I'm curious what others think of this card or other similar cards. Should I just throw it in the garbage?

#296728 - 15/04/2007 23:38 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Seth]
mlord
carpal tunnel

The thing to remember here is, RAID is complicated enough that *nobody* really does it in hardware. It's all software (or flash-based software a.k.a. "firmware").

So.. would you rather trust your data and time to a single factory burn of the software, or rely on something that can-be / is bug-fixed as the need arises, a.k.a. "software RAID". And if the O/S does the (software) RAID, then it can also (in theory) do a superior job of scheduling the I/O to each individual drive (= faster I/O).

The answer may also depend upon one's choice of O/S.

Cheers

#296729 - 16/04/2007 01:48 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
Seth
new poster

My problem is that I'm not a Linux god. So without rehashing the debate about backwards compatibility, I'll just say that suppose there are some new updates to the RAID implementation and I end up screwing up my data. Maybe I just don't choose the right compile flags to ensure compatibility or something like that.

What I am saying is that I don't quite trust myself with software ;-).

Also what if I have a catastrophic hardware failure (fried motherboard or something) and have to rebuild everything. I KNOW that it is possible to rebuild everything to get the data off the drives, but maybe I'm not capable of doing it without making a mistake somewhere along the way.

I'm not saying I'm an idiot, just that I've come to understand that I figure things out after stubbing my toe a couple times. I don't want to stub my toe at a critical time in the recovery process.

Not disagreeing with you at all, I just have a few concerns given my ability (or lack of) to fly by the seat of my pants without making any mistakes.

#296730 - 16/04/2007 04:18 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Seth]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
My problem is that I'm not a Linux god.

Me too!

I have only had the chance to test the MegaRAID i4 once so far. What I did notice is that if you reboot it does start the rebuild right from the start again. ie if you were at 5% and need to reboot your machine for some reason, when it all comes back up the MegaRAID starts again from 0%, but I did find it started again automatically.

I'm really glad I hve given "hardware" RAID a try. I can now really see Mark's point, you do stand more of a chance of getting your data back with software RAID if you know what you are doing.

My problem is I don't know what I am doing, yet

The other problem with the MegaRAID i4 is that it keeps the disc spun up 100% I left the system on over the weekend while I was away from home, nobody as been using the NAS and the drives are a full temp. For this reason alone the i4 is going back on eBay. This can't be good for the type of drive I am using here!

Cheers

Cris.

#296731 - 16/04/2007 11:31 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Seth]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
suppose there are some new updates to the RAID implementation and I end up screwing up my data. Maybe I just don't choose the right compile flags to ensure compatibility or something like that.

Nope. No need for the FUD. That cannot happen. To screw your data, you have to work much harder than that, and issue commands that do it on purpose, and bypass the warnings that most of them give you.

Quote:
Also what if I have a catastrophic hardware failure (fried motherboard or something) and have to rebuild everything. I KNOW that it is possible to rebuild everything to get the data off the drives, but maybe I'm not capable of doing it without making a mistake somewhere along the way.

Nothing to do with Linux there -- same issues regardless.

Backups are safer than RAID.

Cheers

#296732 - 16/04/2007 15:01 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
Seth
new poster

I'm not throwing out FUD, and my comments about rebuilding aren't aimed at Linux. I'm talking about my own comfort level based on what I know and what I don't know. In this case, there is a lot I don't know, and freely admit it.

I use Linux enough to be able to get around. I don't know it forwards and backwards in my sleep. I'm just saying I'm thinking through scenarios, and suppose I have to rebuild the array on a different box. I know it is possible, and I can probably figure out how to do it. But I don't know the process (today), and don't know what risks there might be. I see posts about using the force flag and various "pucker" factors in this thread and hence some of my fears. I figure plugging the array into the new box would require forcing it online.

And the RAID actually is my backup, so if the whole thing goes belly up, I'm actually most likely fine.

#296733 - 16/04/2007 15:37 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Cris]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Quote:
Quote:
My problem is that I'm not a Linux god.

I'm really glad I hve given "hardware" RAID a try. I can now really see Mark's point, you do stand more of a chance of getting your data back with software RAID if you know what you are doing.

My problem is I don't know what I am doing, yet

That's the thing about 'community'

The linux-raid list has regular 'help' emails and they almost all get sorted - I think the only caveat is "don't mess if you don't know what you're doing - just ask".

Also, you mentioned wanting to power down the disks in your raid. I'm not sure how well that works 'out of the box' under linux. You may need to do some fiddling.

#296734 - 16/04/2007 15:44 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Seth]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Quote:
I'm not throwing out FUD

No - I think Mark was heading it off before it became fear etc ie FUD.

Quote:
I see posts about using the force flag and various "pucker" factors in this thread and hence some of my fears. I figure plugging the array into the new box would require forcing it online.

That's the problem with being fully honest - I did try to emphasise that the --force stuff was to do recovery in situations where you were already royally FUBARed.

Let me put it this way, if and only if your system burns to the ground and is eaten by ants then linux raid *may* need to use the --force command Better?

Moving to another machine - business as usual.
Disk failure - business as usual.
Switch from RedHat to SUSE to Debian - business as usual.
Upgrade kernel - business as usual.
etc etc

One of my biggest problems with linux RAID way back when was when a disk failed and I didn't notice for months - the thing just kept going.

#296735 - 16/04/2007 16:11 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: LittleBlueThing]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
Also, you mentioned wanting to power down the disks in your raid. I'm not sure how well that works 'out of the box' under linux. You may need to do some fiddling.

In FreeNAS it was one feature that worked really well, it must cache part/all of the file table (or whatever?) as you could pretty much browse the NAS and the drives spun up when a file was requested, but I never did get to the point of mave many files on it.

The only slight problem was that the WD drive sins up much slower than the seagate driver, that wa causing some retry errors in the log files, but from my point of view it worked pretty well.

I think the Software RAID argument is winning the battle at the moment, like you said if I get stuck all I need to do is ask

Cheers

Cris.

#296736 - 16/04/2007 17:11 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Seth]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
I'm not throwing out FUD

Just trying to prevent it from being interpreted as such when somebody stumbles over this thread via Google.

You actually sound to me like a pretty competent user of this stuff -- more power to ya!

Cheers

#296737 - 17/04/2007 03:07 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
This has been an interesting thread. As I mentioned at the beginning of it I am no longer interested in going with RAID5. I personally believe that with the huge decrease in the cost of storage that it has lost it’s luster as a viable choice for the home user. I have no desire to put all of my eggs in one basket. I have been down that road where I had a terabyte of data all in a RAID5 configuration and if anything happens, I am hosed.

Considering Linux as a software RAID solution, I wonder how many people in the world have intimate knowledge of Linux on a par with some of the contributors of this forum? I’ll bet not many. This is the reason why software RAID5 is not an option for me. Some of you make it sound so easy just to do whatever needs to be done to fix whatever problems might occur. For me this is an impossibility, heck, I was absolutely overjoyed when I managed to get Ubuntu to run on my Intel box equipped with a 8800 graphics cards. I think this was a “let’s celebrate and go get Sushi, my treat” night.

I would also like to use a NAS so as not to have to have a specific computer running in order to see the data that I want to share across my network. I also don’t want to spend a lot of money finding a solution. I have 6 300GB PATA drives just sitting around that came out of the RAID5. Just for fun I have chosen to play with this –
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124036
along with these to put my drives in - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817716034
There are a ton of firmware hacks that will allow you to run multiple drives off of the USB ports or RAID1 if you want. There is also a hardware hack that will let you double the speed of the NAS just by removing a diode.

A raid system is not the answer to total data protection. Corrupted data is just as corrupted regardless of the number of copies you have. To truly protect your data I believe you must do periodic backups to devices that are generally kept offline. I think this is the only way that you can be somewhat sure that your data is safe. Periodic backups, there is no substitute.

I really enjoy this forum; the intellectual power here is truly amazing. You guys rock.

#296738 - 17/04/2007 03:46 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Neutrino]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
Periodic backups, there is no substitute.

But what too ???

The task of backing up 700Gb to DVD doesn't really appeal, and thenttrying to find what I want would be almost impossible.

My RAID NAS will be my backup device, all the information will be on other machines as well, it will just be a nice big pool of space to run the automatic backups to.

I think the cost of any other solution, in both money and time, would be to great for me.

Cheers

Cris.

#296739 - 17/04/2007 04:33 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Cris]
Neutrino
addict

True, backing up 700GB IS a hassle but how much of this really changes? If you are talking media than I would expect that most of this is static data. This is the case in my situation. 1TB of movies and audio with the occasional movie or itunes download added. After the initial backup of the data I need to only add to it whatever I add to my collect. This can be done periodically. To what, would be off line drives that I only plug in to add data to. I believe that any backup scheme that is constantly online and powered up has the risk failing. Yes, it is true that there is a chance that the drives I keep offline might someday not power up when I need them but the amount of time that they are online is so small that I doubt that will happen. As far as cost is concerned what does a TB cost these days, $250.00 USD? (Based on 3 320GB drives at $80.00 USD each)

Also I didn't realize that you where planning on using your raid as a backup storage for data that is kept online in another location. When I was using RAID5 it was the total repository of all of my media. There was no other backup. At the time I considered RAID5 to be sufficient unto itself. This was a mistake. How are you planning on monitoring the status of your drives? I used the Promise Superswap 1000 drive bays that gave constant condition status via LED’s. Even with this I lost my data once. You think it’s a hassle copying 700GB? How about re-ripping a TB? I guess I have been burned too many times. What I purpose is probably extreme.

#296740 - 17/04/2007 11:56 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Neutrino]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Considering Linux as a software RAID solution, I wonder how many people in the world have intimate knowledge of Linux on a par with some of the contributors of this forum? I’ll bet not many. This is the reason why software RAID5 is not an option for me. Some of you make it sound so easy just to do whatever needs to be done to fix whatever problems might occur.

Again, the issues with administrating a RAID array are not unique to Linux. RAID5 failures will likely be just as complex to recover from regardless of the underlying O/S, or whether it's "hardware" or "software" RAID.

Just trying to keep things clear here for posterity (aka. "google").

#296741 - 17/04/2007 12:23 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: mlord]
Neutrino
addict

Quote:
Again, the issues with administrating a RAID array are not unique to Linux. RAID5 failures will likely be just as complex to recover from regardless of the underlying O/S, or whether it's "hardware" or "software" RAID.

Just trying to keep things clear here for posterity (aka. "google").

I completely agree, I did lose a TB of RAID5 data on a Windows box. In fact it sounds to me like recovery might actually be easier under Linux IF you possess the knowledge to do what must be done to recover it.

#296742 - 17/04/2007 12:37 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Neutrino]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Quote:

When I was using RAID5 it was the total repository of all of my media. There was no other backup. At the time I considered RAID5 to be sufficient unto itself. This was a mistake. How are you planning on monitoring the status of your drives? I used the Promise Superswap 1000 drive bays that gave constant condition status via LED’s. Even with this I lost my data once. You think it’s a hassle copying 700GB? How about re-ripping a TB? I guess I have been burned too many times. What I purpose is probably extreme.

There's a lot being said here; some is linux specific but most, I think, is generic.

Clearly if you are experienced in one OS and move to another then there's a learning curve - that said:

Setting up:
Linux RAID is simple and generally just works.
BIOS or windows RAID is probably a touch simpler and generally just works.
Not much in it.

Monitoring:
Linux RAID is simple and generally just works via email. [My machines talk to me if a disk fails.]
BIOS or windows RAID may use email, LEDs, beep or just notify you on reboot (not good for a server) .
Not much in it.

Disaster:
For an average user it is feasible to recover a Linux RAID systems when things go badly wrong (and I'm talking about massive hardware failure here!) but it needs to be dug into very deeply and can become very complex indeed. [However a few hours of hair pulling may be a lot easier than a 1Tb restore!]

For an average user if you have an unexpected hardware failure with windows or BIOS RAID then you are screwed. You would need to spend real cash (many hundreds of $) with a forensic data recovery firm to stand a chance of getting your data back - or just start restoring.

Huge difference.

Another problem area is how people thing about risk, backups and resilience.

In other words : do I bother with RAID or do I just have backups.

It's complex; but in general RAID reduces the likelihood of needing to restore from backups - Neutrino you are 100% spot on when you say it is not sufficient to replace backups. However it does almost eliminate the need to restore from backups for disk failures.

That's worth restating:
* I'll (almost) never need to restore from backup due to disk failure.

Here, I think the problem you will face Neutrino is that you are almost *certain* to lose all your data and have to restore from backup. (I assume you have 1Tb of data on 3x320Gb disks = no resilience). Your system is 3 times more fragile than a single disk system. Assuming drives are 95% likely to die in 6 years (even spread) then your system is 95% likely to die within 2 years - I hope you have an OCD tendency to backup!

FWIW I have multiple data stores.
One is for music and films that I have recorded or ripped. The backup is the original media. When (not if) a drive fails, I just replace it. I doubt I will ever have to re-rip. If I didn't have a resilient setup then I'd have to re-rip (or restore) every time a drive failed.

Another store is a simple striped array.
I hold important data on there and it backs up incrementally onto a separate striped array using snapshots.
Having the backup online all the time means I can monitor the health and replace drives.

I hope this comes across in the spirit it's intended

A few years ago I had a disk failure on the disk with all my photos on it.
I bought a replacement hard disk and did a disk copy from my backup to my new disk.
Sadly I swapped the device names and overwrote my backup with a blank disk. I felt a horrible cold chill and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I realised that I'd lost years worth of photos.
Luckily I was a sysadmin at the time and by 'habit', as soon as the disk failed I made a copy of the backup to some free space. It took me 10 seconds to remember that I had the copy - they were not pleasant seconds.
I did however just do a quick 'copy' and the timestamps on all those files show the date and time of the near-disaster.

So the reason I bother with this RAID stuff is because I really worry about the 'normal' people who are going to lose their digital memories and I try to help out
I would like to see Linux RAID get a nicer frontend (for home use) and better disaster recovery etc - it will happen.

#296743 - 17/04/2007 13:10 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: LittleBlueThing]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
Quote:

So the reason I bother with this RAID stuff is because I really worry about the 'normal' people who are going to lose their digital memories and I try to help out

And I was agreeing with your post until I read that. And it came right after an example of PEBKAC which always shows the true weakness of raid.

It doesn't matter how reliable your raid array is if you press the delete key.

I've said it before here. I've said it at work (though my boss doesn't really take it to heart). I've told family (who give me funny looks when I mention "parity"). Raid is not a backup solution. Raid is a high availability solution.

Reriping from original media is a backup plan, and perfectly viable. You can't do that with digital memories. If it's worth saving, it's worth saving twice.

I'll get off my soap box now. But I won't hesitate to get back on it if someone starts implying raid is a backup solution.

Matthew
PS: Perhaps I'm reading your post wrong, and you mean preserving memories is the reason you help other people with their RAID recovery. I still stand by my rant about backups, even if it doesn't apply to you.

#296744 - 17/04/2007 13:29 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: matthew_k]
LittleBlueThing
addict

We agree...

Quote:
Quote:

And I was agreeing with your post until I read that.
I'll get off my soap box now. But I won't hesitate to get back on it if someone starts implying raid is a backup solution.

Matthew
PS: Perhaps I'm reading your post wrong, and you mean preserving memories is the reason you help other people with their RAID recovery. I still stand by my rant about backups, even if it doesn't apply to you.

You did misunderstand - but it was a long post and they're not always the clearest things to read or write.

For "RAID stuff" substitute "RAID and backup stuff".

RAID is bloody useful but it is not a backup solution.

PS Somehow it has more of an "Oh f*ck, did I really do that" feeling than "Kodak moments"

#296745 - 18/04/2007 18:56 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Cris]
Robotic
pooh-bah

Loc: Seattle transplant
I've been following this thread's progression with great interest and I can really empathize with Cris and the others. I am also a Linux challenged individual.
With the help of some members on the board I built a NAS out of an old computer of mine. (the thread is around somewhere... ah- here it is.)
It works great (thanks to all!) but this thread has me thinking I need to further my understanding of the device.
For example- I have no idea how to check the health of the unit or recover from a failed drive. I'll certainly have to learn about that soon.

Anyway, I just saw the For Sale posts of Neutrino's and wondered if the following scenario is a possibility under Linux:
Use an IDE expansion PCI card (I'm thinking most often such cards are sold as 'raid controllers', but I haven't investigated this at all, so I may be going in the wrong direction) to allow more drives to be connected to the motherboard. Instead of combining the drives as under 'hardware raid', just leave them as individual drives and let the linux raid use them. You could boot off of one of the motherboard's IDE headers and if *that* drive went south, then reinstalling linux shouldn't be a big deal.

What I'm thinking about is this- in my homebrew NAS, the three drives are partitioned such that the linux install is strewn over all of the units (I'm not even sure exactly how it was set up, so forgive my lack of detail and understanding). It seems that any one failed drive requires that the linux install be recreated before the raid5 array could be rebuilt from the remaining drives.
It just seems that if I want to protect myself against failed drives, then treating each drive as a single partition and single element in the array should make things 'easier'. Sounds less complex to me, but then again I don't know what I'm talking about and that's why I'm asking...
Am I off base?

My kit is soo old that my motherboard won't boot from PCI or USB. That's why I was thinking I could expand the capacity for drives with a card.
Hmmm- maybe if I want to localize my linux install but keep my hardware setup as-is I could boot and run from a purpose-built live CD. ?? again, I'm going off on tangents that I'm not sure are really needed.

Hey, if you got this far I really want to thank you for reading! LOL

#296746 - 18/04/2007 19:02 Re: Hardware RAID Advice [Re: Robotic]
mlord
carpal tunnel

For a system like that, I would do mostly what you've already figured. Boot from the onboard IDE with a dedicated drive (or compactflash card or DiskOnChip module etc..), and then use the PCI SATA controller to implement a RAID array in software.

The choice would likely fall down to RAID1 (best redundancy, simplest recovery, lowest capacity) and RAID5 (much faster reads, higher capacity, most complex recovery [but not *that* complex!]).

If the onboard IDE is a real drive, then I'd install the O/S there. If the onboard IDE device is a flash thingie, then I'd likely just put the /boot partition there, and everything else onto the RAID array. In fact, the latter is what I often recommend.

Cheers

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >