Well, through GetConnected.Com I got a free DirecTivo and satellite dish, and free installation (not needed). The goods arrived yesterday afternoon and after some fun with destackers, multi-switches, and line amplifiers I got it working like a champ.

My bill is now $20 cheaper than before (was directv through southwestern bell, now I'm direct), and I've got a Tivo with 35hours of recording time...

Man this is truly great. It's already gathered up a variety of simpsons, sopranos, sex in the city (wife), buena vista social club, and a whole Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon.

What the hell were we doing before? Of course the problem now is that I need to watch all this stuff now!

I didn't see a true DB9 serial port on the back, looks like it's a type of headphone connection for serial ... I haven't researched this yet, but are you guys familiar with this? do I need to find an adapter similar to the pronto's serial cable? (semi-headphone type to db9).

This thing kicks butt ... for those who don't have directv yet and have been waiting for an excuse, this free tivo deal is reason enough...

Greg