Originally Posted By: canuckInOR
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I also think that folks like us don't want to admit that usually/often/mostly the best stuff tends to bubble up to the top.

Just because it's "the best" (and popular) doesn't make it good. There are a large number of people who aspire to nothing beyond mediocrity. If you can distinquish between mediocrity and excellence in some area -- and care about the differences -- you have to do your due diligence before resigning yourself to accept that what's popular really is the best that's currently available.

It's weird how the first half of your response miss-characterizes what I said and the second half basically sums up what I said.

Or did you not think that my comments about trusting Google searches extended to using critical thinking when it comes to App Store results? That would be weird.

I think you folks are making this a lot more of a thing that it is. The way I see it, if you don't already know what app you need (because you need it for a service you already use**, for example), here's what I do:

1- Google search for the app category, look for reputable resources in the results
2- See what they have to say and determine if any of the apps jump out at you
3- Go to any other resources you have available for opinions, like social media, or ancient discussion boards for long-defunct consumer electronic devices
4- See what the App Store brings up
5- Compare your notes
6- Try out all of the free apps and any paid apps you're willing to try

Is that crazy? Why is this contentious?

I was just suggesting that the best apps are probably going to pop up on the most lists in your research. That doesn't seem too controversial to me. I didn't even say always, just usually.

I say this as someone who's most-used app is a middlingly-popular podcast app called Pocket Casts.

And if you find that diamond in the rough, then good for you! Congrats!

**this describes probably 90% of the apps on my phone

Edited by Dignan (13/09/2019 20:29)