Originally Posted By: Dignan
But that's what I don't understand. You see it as much messier than I do. I see Android TV as being a Chromecast that doesn't require a phone or tablet. That is absolutely not without thought.

In the end, they're both Chromecasts, so I don't really see what's so bizarre about their approach.

Here's the question: I'm sitting on my couch. I want to watch a movie. What should I do:
- Look at my Android Wear watch, click something, and say "Ok Google, play Groundhog Day on my TV". It's then casted to my Chromecast (or Android TV in "cast" mode).
- Pull out my phone, run Play Movies, search for the movie, then hit the play button, casting it.
- Pull out my d-pad remote control, and use the "lay back" interface to scroll through different movies and/or talk to it to say "play Groundhog Day"?

The genius of the Chromecast is that it gets rid of awful remote control d-pad interfaces and gives you something more powerful (your phone). So far as I can tell, the only place where Android TV is superior is when it's a game platform or when it's acting as a media selector (TiVo vs. whatever else).

Give me an Android TV box that has two external inputs (Bluray + TiVo) and now I can truly banish my receiver's surprisingly poor HDMI-CEC implementation and do it all through the Android TV.