Thanks for the excellent summary Dan. I only caught parts of the rather long keynote.

I think it's great Google is shifting Android development to allow developers an early preview of the next OS release. This process has been rather beneficial on the iOS side, as the developers working on the OS and new APIs get bug reports back before it's shipped to the public. For major redesigns, it also helps to get the feedback from the community on what is and isn't working.

The consistent design language across all their products will be good to see as well.

All the additions to the core OS for GPU, power efficiency, and smarter multitasking are good additions too. Bits and pieces of these have worked their way into mobile platforms and also in OS X to improve laptop battery life. The efforts so far seem to pay off well, and I'd expect Android to continue to see similar gains.

Google Play Services continues to bother me a bit from the perspective of locking more and more programs to Google Android only. Tied with the new runtime, developers are going to have to decide if they want to support Google Android, or Amazon Fire Android. It's going to be interesting seeing how this dynamic plays out between the two sides.

On the flip side though, Google Play Services has been an important tool for Google to use to battle the fragmentation issue. Hearing the success numbers of keeping end users up to date is great to see.

The new voice actions will probably see some good use. The reminders ability in particular is why I upgraded to the iPhone 4s when it came out. Still a feature I make use of multiple times a week.

The watches are interesting to see, and a step above the Pebble. If I was an Android user, they would be tempting. I liked the possibilities of the Pebble, but the implementation was a little rough to sustain my interest in continuing to wear one. Deeper OS level integration seems a key component to ensure success here and avoid some of the frustrations these watches can bring.