The fact that the readio in the Zune was not a market-winning feature over the almost-radio-less iPod, is obvious, since the iPod sells quite a few more units than the Zune. The fact that it is a winning feature for some users, is just as obvious.

Having said that, I find instead that a radio a big POSITIVE on a feature list, and digital radio will be as well. I do want to listen to the radio, occasionally, and in no way I would prefer to carry a second device for that, or an external module which, to almost all practical purposes, means just that: a second device.

And noticeably, unlike many portable radio devices, I find Zune's radio an excellent one, in all regards: very clear display can be read in a glance, super quick to memorize and recall favourite (unlimited) stations, RDS, excellent sound quality, especcially compared with the iPod radio module. Zune's radio quality plays a relevant role for me in actually enjoying listening to the radio, when I do.

As far as I am concerned, radio is just one of the features that makes me prefer Zune over iPod overall, but it is there.

Possibly Microsoft will never be able to seriously compete with Apple in the iPod market, I mostly agree. I guess that's going to be true until the "I don't bother you with this if yuo don't bother me with that" kind of unofficial agreement is in place between the two companies. Because, essentially, that's the issue, I believe. Both Microsoft and Apple could easily introduce the featurs or the package of services that their device is missing versus the competitor. It's really not a metter of know how. I'd say it's just a chess game...
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg