Originally Posted By: bootsy
MS claims the radio has been a significant distinguishing feature for the Zune. I would have to agree.

By "distinguishing" do they mean a feature that keeps the Zune firmly behind the competition in the marketplace even though the device's software and hardware are otherwise decent?

Different strokes for different folks, but I don't need radio at home or in the car, let alone on a portable DIGITAL MEDIA device.

I find it strange that someone putting so much emphasis on radio cares that the same product doesn't have an HD in it. Unless of course you want to record what's playing on the radio. If someone wants radio badly enough, such as someone who listens almost exclusively to the radio, then I suggest getting a radio. Not a PMP/MP3 player.

Device convergence has opened up some markets. The inclusion of radio may affect the sales pattern of literally a handful of consumers, but it's of absolutely no bearing in the grand scheme of things. Microsoft might want to look at all the other goodies like not being able to run third-party software on the device.

The inclusion of a proprietary digital radio feature ("HD Radio") is likely to bring on board another 3 consumers. Well, two more in addition to bootsy anyway.

I hope (and suspect) reports of radio support in the next generation of iPhone and iPod touch are incorrect.