I purchased some X10 home automation components several years ago, mostly to solve some problems I had in my old apartment related to inconvenient access to light switches. I found the quality of the X10 components to be lacking, and I had some occasions where the switches would turn on themselves due to electrical noise or something. In other words, the stuff more or less worked, but didn't impress me enough to justify a large investment.

Anyway, I recently bought a house, and am thinking about home automation again. Apparently a company called Insteon makes components that are much higher quality than the X10 stuff (hence more expensive) but have the benefit of being able to interoperate somewhat with X10 components, which sounds great.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has experience with the Insteon product line and can provide some opinions/advice. I have my eye on this starter kit just to try things out and solve a couple of lighting problems in my new home.

Or, if anyone has any other recommendations of similar products, I'd be interested in hearing about those as well.