Last week I posted (in Off Topic) a problem I had where my player did a media check as part of an emplode re-synch, even though HiJack was installed with the media check option turned off, and the player had only been synched nine times previously on a new ("disk-buildered") single hard drive.

Paul Grzelak posted his best guess as to the problem, and Mark Lord concurred.

Well, I have a bit more information now, and while it appears that Paul was right, I don't have the solution to the problem.

It seems the media rebuild occurs any time I re-synch following an FTP file transfer. (When I use the player as a file taxi). Since other people manage to do this without a media check every time, I can only conclude I am doing something wrong. Below is how I load files into the player. (The unload procedure is identical, except for deleting the zip file, and of course using "get" instead of "put".)

=============================================

Batch file for loading the player:

@echo off
echo For this to work, you must have a directory on your PC
echo named '_FTP' and a file in that directory called 'empfile.zip'
echo containing the data you want to copy to your Player.
echo .
pause
cd C:\_FTP
ftp.exe -s:Taxi_In.txt
-------------------------------------------------------------------
ftp script for loading the player:

open 10.60.5.42

prompt
bin
hash
literal site rw
cd /drive0/var/taxi
delete empfile.zip
put empfile.zip
literal site ro
quit
================================================

It is acting very much as though the player were being left in rw mode after the ftp session, but I can't see why it would be.

The player is doing another media check as I type this, and I didn't run the ftp session through the batch/script files this time, but instead ran it manually, typing one line at a time from a DOS prompt. Every command line executed in ftp during this process seemed to return the appropriate response.

Any ideas? (And if it is because I'm doing something grossly stupid, maybe you could tell me via PM rather than putting my ignorance on display for the whole bbs?)

tanstaafl.