Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#299131 - 08/06/2007 17:36 I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn

My Empeg is totally functional. The screen is currently dead - the cable is fried - robricc was nice enough to give me a cable last year which extended the life. (nipple and screen are fine, although I have blown and replaced those on occasion!) I Navigate my playlist by memory. These 8 pictures speak for themselves! Check them all out here: http://cellpop.net/empeg/

Eutronix doesn't seem to sell those cables anymore - can you crimp one together from just a laptop IDE cable?

I took the face plate and the remaining buttons off because they were exacerbating a short which I haven't tracked down yet that would make the player go wonky. It's been wet, dropped and beatup from all angles. The handle broke off long ago - which I really really like. I have a Pcats tuner that I put together, but I can't change stations anymore because I dont have a functional remote.

I still use it in my Jeep TJ which stays open during the summer - and of course - my Empeg has never been stolen because I live in Brooklyn, NY

PS: anyone have a extra video cable?

PSS: I cannibalized my Mark I a long time ago - I'd love to find a good home for her.. cage and unit in good condition - just sans HD and video cable.

Empeg rocks!

#299132 - 08/06/2007 18:17 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: JeepBastard]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I weep...

#299133 - 08/06/2007 20:02 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: JeepBastard]
webroach
old hand

Loc: Colorado
Quote:
My Empeg is totally functional. The screen is currently dead - the cable is fried - robricc was nice enough to give me a cable last year which extended the life.

You keep using that word functional. I do not think it means what you think it means.

#299134 - 08/06/2007 20:46 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: JeepBastard]
tman
carpal tunnel

That player looks like you've taken it on a tour of a warzone...

Also, as webroach said, I don't think it counts as totally functional

#299135 - 08/06/2007 22:39 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: tman]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Awesome. Absolutely awesome. Reminds me of a couple of computers I used to support that belonged to an army brigade.

They worked...kinda
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#299136 - 09/06/2007 02:03 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: JeepBastard]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Eutronix doesn't seem to sell those cables anymore

Just an FYI; we sell all the cables we've ever sold, so if you need one let me know.

Stu

#299137 - 09/06/2007 06:27 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: JeepBastard]
LittleBlueThing
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
How?

#299138 - 09/06/2007 21:32 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: LittleBlueThing]
MarkM
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Yikes!

I might be able to dig up a new handle for you. Seems like I ordered some spares and never used them. No guarantee I can actually find them. But seeing this empeg inspires me to help. Maybe others will help with additional pieces.

#299139 - 10/06/2007 01:01 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: MarkM]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Astounding. Seems that could be in new condition with a few parts and some careful solder work.

A question though, how DID you get so much dirt into the button switches?

#299140 - 11/06/2007 01:34 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: FireFox31]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
A question though, how DID you get so much dirt into the button switches?

Spoken like a man who's never driven a Jeep like it should be driven.

Here's a shot of me and a buddy of mine driving up the side of a hill at Uwharrie National Forest. Note the amount of dust.

I was also in this jeep when it made it into this position. Note the presence of mud:

#299141 - 11/06/2007 05:09 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: JBjorgen]
frog51
pooh-bah

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Knowing the amount of hammering you take on a climb like that, I'm impressed the drives still work!
MkII, 80Gb SSD in dock

#299142 - 11/06/2007 17:42 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: frog51]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Those dont look like very comfortable seats for off-roading

#299143 - 11/06/2007 19:22 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: JeepBastard]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I am seriously impressed. This is even more nadged than the one I had for repair that had been run over (apparently) by a Peterbilt unit. Whoa. Coolness abounds.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#299144 - 11/06/2007 20:13 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: morrisdl]
JBjorgen
carpal tunnel

Loc: Columbus, OH
Quote:
Those dont look like very comfortable seats for off-roading

Trust me...they're not. "Old Greenie" is a retired farm jeep that belongs to a friend of mine. Its sole purpose is to be driven by people who want to do silly-stupid stuff in a jeep without worrying about destroying it . There are usually some foam bleacher-pads on the plywood, but they seem to have been lost somewhere further up the trail

It's mostly held together by spit and bailing wire. Notice the gas tank behind the passenger seat. If you accidentally step on the hose that runs under the passenger seat to the firewall, it doesn't run so well. The hose is visible in the picture also.

#299145 - 12/06/2007 10:08 Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world [Re: JBjorgen]
JeepBastard
enthusiast

Loc: Brooklyn
Yes! The Jeep life can be quite addicting if you catch the bug. I go off-road and I also use my jeep as a daily driver. I even use it as my limo for those high-falutin' events one is required to attend at times.

With the top off the unit is going to be prone to tons of dirt and I also tend to touch it to change tracks as I am working on the unit.

The reason my video cable burned I believe is because I lost my mounting screws and the shock mount plate for the HD was touching the motherboard directly - the hottest spot on the drive was right above the cable and cooked it - twice. Third times the charm - I'm going to replace the screws and hopefully this week or next completely restore this EMPEG to it's former glory.