I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world

Posted by: JeepBastard

I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 08/06/2007 17:36

My Empeg is totally functional. The screen is currently dead - the cable is fried - robricc was nice enough to give me a cable last year which extended the life. (nipple and screen are fine, although I have blown and replaced those on occasion!) I Navigate my playlist by memory. These 8 pictures speak for themselves! Check them all out here: http://cellpop.net/empeg/

Eutronix doesn't seem to sell those cables anymore - can you crimp one together from just a laptop IDE cable?

I took the face plate and the remaining buttons off because they were exacerbating a short which I haven't tracked down yet that would make the player go wonky. It's been wet, dropped and beatup from all angles. The handle broke off long ago - which I really really like. I have a Pcats tuner that I put together, but I can't change stations anymore because I dont have a functional remote.

I still use it in my Jeep TJ which stays open during the summer - and of course - my Empeg has never been stolen because I live in Brooklyn, NY

PS: anyone have a extra video cable?

PSS: I cannibalized my Mark I a long time ago - I'd love to find a good home for her.. cage and unit in good condition - just sans HD and video cable.

Empeg rocks!

Posted by: tfabris

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 08/06/2007 18:17

I weep...
Posted by: webroach

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 08/06/2007 20:02

Quote:
My Empeg is totally functional. The screen is currently dead - the cable is fried - robricc was nice enough to give me a cable last year which extended the life.

You keep using that word functional. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Posted by: tman

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 08/06/2007 20:46

That player looks like you've taken it on a tour of a warzone...

Also, as webroach said, I don't think it counts as totally functional
Posted by: frog51

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 08/06/2007 22:39

Awesome. Absolutely awesome. Reminds me of a couple of computers I used to support that belonged to an army brigade.

They worked...kinda
Posted by: maczrool

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 09/06/2007 02:03

Quote:
Eutronix doesn't seem to sell those cables anymore

Just an FYI; we sell all the cables we've ever sold, so if you need one let me know.

Stu
Posted by: LittleBlueThing

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 09/06/2007 06:27

How?
Posted by: MarkM

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 09/06/2007 21:32

Yikes!

I might be able to dig up a new handle for you. Seems like I ordered some spares and never used them. No guarantee I can actually find them. But seeing this empeg inspires me to help. Maybe others will help with additional pieces.
Posted by: FireFox31

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 10/06/2007 01:01

Astounding. Seems that could be in new condition with a few parts and some careful solder work.

A question though, how DID you get so much dirt into the button switches?
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 11/06/2007 01:34

Quote:
A question though, how DID you get so much dirt into the button switches?

Spoken like a man who's never driven a Jeep like it should be driven.

Here's a shot of me and a buddy of mine driving up the side of a hill at Uwharrie National Forest. Note the amount of dust.

I was also in this jeep when it made it into this position. Note the presence of mud:

Posted by: frog51

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 11/06/2007 05:09

Knowing the amount of hammering you take on a climb like that, I'm impressed the drives still work!
Posted by: morrisdl

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 11/06/2007 17:42

Those dont look like very comfortable seats for off-roading
Posted by: schofiel

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 11/06/2007 19:22

I am seriously impressed. This is even more nadged than the one I had for repair that had been run over (apparently) by a Peterbilt unit. Whoa. Coolness abounds.
Posted by: JBjorgen

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 11/06/2007 20:13

Quote:
Those dont look like very comfortable seats for off-roading

Trust me...they're not. "Old Greenie" is a retired farm jeep that belongs to a friend of mine. Its sole purpose is to be driven by people who want to do silly-stupid stuff in a jeep without worrying about destroying it . There are usually some foam bleacher-pads on the plywood, but they seem to have been lost somewhere further up the trail

It's mostly held together by spit and bailing wire. Notice the gas tank behind the passenger seat. If you accidentally step on the hose that runs under the passenger seat to the firewall, it doesn't run so well. The hose is visible in the picture also.
Posted by: JeepBastard

Re: I have the most beatup functioning EMPEG player in the world - 12/06/2007 10:08

Yes! The Jeep life can be quite addicting if you catch the bug. I go off-road and I also use my jeep as a daily driver. I even use it as my limo for those high-falutin' events one is required to attend at times.

With the top off the unit is going to be prone to tons of dirt and I also tend to touch it to change tracks as I am working on the unit.

The reason my video cable burned I believe is because I lost my mounting screws and the shock mount plate for the HD was touching the motherboard directly - the hottest spot on the drive was right above the cable and cooked it - twice. Third times the charm - I'm going to replace the screws and hopefully this week or next completely restore this EMPEG to it's former glory.