empegVNC-0.1 has been released. It requires a developer image and the Hijack kernel, and runs as a standalone userland application.

This version has been almost completely rewritten.

It now uses what is likely the best RFB encoding method, assuming that I'm not going to see what the changes are since the last update. This might change in future releases.

It also supports controlling the empeg via the VNC client in the form of keypresses. Check the download web page for specifics. It does not, however, either show or control the Hijack menu system. This should also be fixed in a future release.

There is not currently a way to start the VNC server either on boot or without logging into the empeg in some way. (Too bad Mark got rid of SITE EXECs.)

This version fixes the speeded-up-visual problem of the last release. While I have not exhausitvely researched the cause of that problem, I think it had to do with continually open()ing and close()ing and/or mmap()ing and munmap()ing the /dev/display interface.

Some of the previous features are gone. Namely, the VNC display selection and the delay time. It now runs only on VNC display 0 and it always updates as fast as possible. These switches will likely be added back in future versions.

It seems to work properly for me, but I have not done extensive testing. Specifically, I don't have the facility to attach the audio outputs of my empeg to anything in the house, so I cannot test whether or not playback functions properly when there is a client attached. Comments on this, as well as any other issue, are appreciated.